1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Resource Quest: Recovering a Markbass 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by V63, Apr 2, 2009.

1. V63

V63

Sep 13, 2008
    Alberta Canada
    I've been trying eleventy billion different amps and cabs and I have to say I do like the Markbass stuff and will most likely buy a LMII or F-1. I will probably buy the CL104 over the Standard 104HR just on looks alone even though it's less of a cab spec-wise. -THAT IS unless someone can tell me where I can get the SUPER UGLY Standard 104HR recovered here in Canada at a reasonable price. A local place here in Calgary would be super though I don't think there is one. Is this a hard DIY? I'm a little intimidated about doing it my self. I would want it to be perfect. Has anyone done this or know of a good resource a for step-by-step idiot proof guide to recovering an amp? I'd love to have a Blonde Vox or maybe a Fender Tweed look. Would you see the ugly yellow speakers through the grill cloth? I know you can get all the materials easily online. I don't necessarily want to have to remove everything from the cab and just ship the box as in in my mind thats almost the same and just as scary as a DIY (with massive shipping $$ to boot!)

2. If you do as you suggest the resale value of your cabinet will go down the toilet. May I suggest that if you don't like the looks of Mark Bass's livery that you look for something else. There is nothing stopping you from using a LMII or F1 with another make of cabinet. My take on the MB cabinets, from my readings on this site, is that they are not universally liked. So if you don't like how they look buy something else!

Paul

3. V63

V63

Sep 13, 2008
    Alberta Canada
    Anyone? I hear crickets. Sigh.

4. V63

V63

Sep 13, 2008
    Alberta Canada
    Thanks Paul, you're probably right. In my own defense I am a doofus.

5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    V63, have you played the CL104?

I own one and I much prefer it to most modern ported cabs I tried.
    it doesnt have that super low boomy bass response but it makes up for it with the punchy low mid and warm high mids that are missing in most modern cabinets.
    it matches my P-Basses and Stingrays wonderfully (but less so with my Warwicks and the fretless Stingray).

to me the Std. line seemed to have a more hifi tone to the point of sounding a bit dry but I'm biased towards old school tones so let your own ears be the judge.

6. V63

V63

Sep 13, 2008
    Alberta Canada
    Thanks Air Leech,

I have tried both -but not in the same store! I thought they both sounded good and I think I may even have preferred the CL104! The only problem with CL104 is that it only comes in 8ohms and the frequency response of 35 Hz to 20 kHz for the Standard 104HR vs. the 50 Hz to 20 kHz of the CL104 was appealing to me on paper, but when I think about it, these are just specs -not sound. My Hofner is pretty boomy so more boomy in a cab is probably not what I need. I've been looking for an amp & cab for a while now and trying so many things in so many locations has left me befuddled, and I think a little stupid. I just don't trust myself anymore. I just don't want to make a $2000 mistake. I have decided that Solid State and a 4x10 will give me more of what I need than Tubes and 15s but that may change tomorrow. I'm tired of trying out gear. When I ask for advice on TB the answer is "you should try more gear":help:

I think this guy's tone here is great (listen with headphones) it IS the sound I have in my head! SOMEONE HELP ME GET IT!

7. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    before you start shelling loads of money on gear have you tried nickel rounds, flatwounds or tapewounds? all of these may get you closer to the tone on that clip if you are using stainless steels at the moment.

both my Precisions are wearing flatwounds and both can get a very similar tone to that on the clip you posted whether I'm playing through my 500 watt MB rig, direct to a soundcard via headphones or through a 60 watts practice amp I have.
    they both sound like two completely different basses with roundwound strings.

I found that for me strings, setup and technique comprise roughly 60% of the precived tone.