Retiring in 2021 ........ Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by covermego, May 17, 2021.

1. covermego

covermego Still here....... Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    Hi, all. It seems like quite a few of us TB'ers are either planning on retiring or have already retired this year. I am. 63 and have needed rotator cuff surgery for many years, which is not very conducive to installing blinds and shutters for a living. Time to collect a little SS and do something part-time after my physical rehab..... plus have more time to practice and play in our little band....while sitting down......for now.......I hope.........

Allrighty...... anyone else?

2. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Me too. 65 in June, 33 years at my current job. My daughter and her husband are both doctors and are moving to the Portland, Maine area this summer. They've offered to provide housing for the wife and I in exchange for child care. Sounds like a good deal to me. Pension, grandkids and lobster!

teh-slb, Novarocker, PB2578 and 96 others like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'm 61 with 39 years in on the job, seriously considering retiring a little early.

teh-slb, 3bc, nbsipics and 17 others like this.
  4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    After 27 years, I retire in 2 weeks at the end of May. Played bass before, during, and will continue after.:thumbsup:

Mastermold, 3bc, noeinstein and 22 others like this.
  5. I was forced into retirement at 44 even though I "officially" retired (got a plaque telling me I retired in 1990 for Telecom Australia) at 33. I cannot work out how I ever found time to go to work!

Brief explanation - I volunteered for redundancy in 1990 when they were looking to downsize and went into landscaping/tree lopping. In 2001 I was killed by a drunk in a MVA and it meant that I could no longer work.

covermego and DrMole like this.
  6. I retired late last year, just before I turned 64. I'm loving the extra time for music - bass and piano. @covermego Best wishes to you on the next phase of your life

7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    That’s awful. So, you’re with us here more in spirit than in body?

8. Benj-jammin

Benj-jammin Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2020
    North Carolina
    I turn 64 in 3 weeks, feel great, no medical issues. Not interesting in playing live anymore, but instead, drinking lots of craft beer and jamming with friends! I also invested in recording equipment/interface, going to try that out down the line with help from my buds. I have an arsenal of Korg synth/workstations, and other keys, which is my original background, so yeah, I have a lot I want to get out and record. Still about a year from official retirement, but that's ok, it's gravy train time!

9. Benj-jammin

Benj-jammin Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2020
    North Carolina
    Maybe you meant to say, you were "seriously" injured? Sounds like it "killed" your career...just speculating with semantics.

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

been there, done that! i'm 9 years into retirement: except for pandemics and the like, it's all good! ;)

congrats to all who've made it this far! 2021 seems like a great year to retire the old and to begin the new! :thumbsup:

11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    So that makes you a...ggggghost!

12. Congrats to everyone who made it to retirement. I'm hoping to make 60 the magic number to go, just over 3 years away and seems like forever.

13. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Congrats to all retiring!

I'll hit the big 5-0 this year, so retirement is still some years away, but if I could retire now, I would. Feels like I've been working for ever. 25 years at my current job is a looooooong time.

14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Good for you. Now "your" life starts.
    Enjoy.

15. WarwickE36

WarwickE36

Oct 28, 2010
    Enjoy! I live in the greater Portland area... it's fantastic.

16. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    I retired last year at 62. Pretty happy so far.

17. Rfan

Rfan

Dec 31, 2017
    None
    Retiring in May2022. I will be 57. Will likely seek another full time job. Play bass infrequently like now, retirement from current job is unlikely to change my life at all.

18. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm about a year out. Will be 63 with 23 years of Govt. service. Between pension (w/awesome medical!), 401K and SS, I should be OK $wise.

Won't have a lot extra though so really glad I pretty much have the gear I need and am hoping to be in a profitable music situation for a little extra income.

19. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    ?

20. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I more or less retired in March of last year, when Covid shut down my pet sitting business. My husband and I have been living on retirement funds, two pensions, and his social security since then. Don't miss work.

Recently I've been contacted by some old clients wanting help. I'm in no hurry to clutter up my life so being super choosy about who I'll go back to work for. And an old tech client I built a website for sold their business; the new owners contacted me yesterday about that site. I didn't have time to do the site maintenance for that client before, but I do now, so I'm going to update their site for them. I suppose that makes me semi-retired.

All in all, I'm happy to be retired. I don't need the work, but it adds variety to my day, which is helpful.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021