1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Return a bass for....smell?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslifter, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Would you return a bass if the bass and accompanying case smelled bad?

2. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

I've read where someone who bought a used bass and case returned it for one of these foul aromas:

Vomit
    Cat Urine
    Beer
    Cigarettes

Can't say I had the pleasure of returning any thing for offending the olfactory senses

Cyborg, murphy, kobass and 3 others like this.
  3. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    I bought an Ibanez guitar once with HSC, both new. The case smelled like skunk. It was evidently a common problem about that time and resulted from the adhesive used to attach the case lining. It faded with time.

Never leave your HSCs open/unattended if you have a cat. It is not unknown for them to mistake an HSC for a cat box.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If your cat is peeing outside of the litterbox, it is almost assuredly because of your own failure to maintain their litter box. In rare cases, this is caused by a medical condition. Male cats will spray if they are not neutered but that isn't the same as peeing everywhere.

5. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    If an instrument had a smell that put me off playing it I would definitely return it.

6. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Or if you suddenly change the litter from unscented to scented, as I found out three weeks in a row before finally twigging.

petrus61 and Huw Phillips like this.
  7. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

I bought a 35 year old bass, case had a musty smell. I put it out in the sun and kept the bass.

I'd never find another one like it, no way I'd return it. If it's a commodity bass, it'd depend how bad it was.

Rapisme and ajkula66 like this.
  8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I have a '90s Fender '51 P RI with case I bought new that has a somewhat strong vanilla-esque smell. My wife hates the smell and won't let me open the case with her in the room. After several years I sold it (not because of the smell) but I missed it and bought it back a few years later. I still have it and it still has some of that smell.

IBJammin likes this.
  9. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    I have a case that smells like stale cigarette smoke. It’s an old one, though.

10. TDPRI Bones

TDPRI Bones Guest

Jul 25, 2019
    I wont buy smelly gear.

shughey and james condino like this.
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Depends on the smell. Some things can be gotten out. Is this new or used?

yodedude2 likes this.
  12. Tommy V

Tommy V

Feb 19, 2019
    if it's used gear, it gets scrubbed and disinfected before i do anything else with it.

shughey, HardNHeavy, Sithian and 2 others like this.
  13. If the odor was not disclosed in the sale details, I might return the instrument. I guess it would depend how simple or complicated a return would be. If I bought locally, that's a quick one to deal with. If we're talking about longer distances or an international transaction, it will cost money to ship back. If that is the case, I might just ask for a partial refund.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  14. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I gigged a lot in the 70’s.
    All my gear smelled like an ashtray and I never smoked.

NG51, J-Mags, Frankie Fender and 8 others like this.
  15. funkymonk13

funkymonk13

Aug 22, 2014
    It should always be disclosed by sellers but not all of them do it. So it would depend on how bad the smell and how much you paid.
    If you bought it used at an amazing price and all that’s wrong with it is that its little smokey, suck it up.

Don’t ya know that the gunk keeps the funk!?

Tommy V likes this.
  16. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I had this exact same thing happen to me not long ago. I wanted the bass badly enough to remedy it. But it took a lot of work. It made my hands smell bad after playing. The smell was gone after two days of cleaning.

The case I sprayed with Febreeze and let it air out for two days, Febreezing daily.

The bass had an oil finish, so it helped. First I removed and tossed the smelly strings and cleaned off all the dead skin. Because it was an oil finish with paste wax, I basically washed it with paste wax. Paste wax comes with wax dissolved in solvent so as you add more wax you can remove some of the old. I think I did this three times until all the smell was gone. Then I polished the frets and restrung it.

Now it's one of my top 5 four string basses.

If you are talking something rarish like a 1982 BC Rich Mockingbird in Koa/Maple with no other marks that you got an excellent deal on...I would probably keep it.

If you are talking a post CBS Fender, I would return it.

happygilmour and MobileHolmes like this.
  17. No Malarky

No Malarky

May 27, 2010
    I would return it.

We have a buddy we affectionately call "Pepe". As in "Pepe Le Pew". He always carries his Skunk Bud in his guitar case.

18. Yes. It must be offensive enough that you asked the question. I've been in this situation. If it was not disclosed, I'd be sending it back.

19. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    I once got a great deal on a nice Precision bass because the case (though not the bass) smelled so badly of cat piss. Heavy doses of leaving it outside open to the sunlight and Febreze for several days took care of it.

But the guys in my band LOVED teasing me about my "P(ee) Bass!"

LowCB, Chewtube and Pizza1988 like this.
  20. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    I bought a used guitar on eBay from a pawn shop in Colorado, and it arrived with little pieces of weed stuck in the hard case fur. Would’ve maybe been enough for a joint (I’ve heard) if it weren’t permanently joined with fuzz. Still smelled like new case in there....or did it?

It was still in there when I sold the guitar, I just didn’t have the heart to vacuum it up.