1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Return to Forever w/ Zappa Plays Zappa

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by EGhart317, May 19, 2011.

1. EGhart317

EGhart317

Oct 5, 2010
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey if someone has already brought this up feel free to delete but I just happened to see Return to Forever is doing a U.S. tour with Zappa Plays Zappa as the "opening act". Also, Return to Forever replaced Al Di meola with Frank gambale and added Jean Luc Ponty to the lineup. Is this the most insane show ever or what?

2. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    The show comes to the Beacon 8/12 and 8/13, I'll be there. Presale starts tomorrow @ 9.

3. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Yep should be a great tour to say the least, last chance for fusion perhaps?
    Dirk

4. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    This sounds like a lot of fun. Who's material are they playing?

5. EGhart317

EGhart317

Oct 5, 2010
    Cleveland, OH
    I perused some set lists from their recent australian shows and it looks like theyre doing strictly return to forever tunes with the addition of like "school days" by stanley. and i agree with dirk diggler this may be the last chance to see any of these guys who knows.

6. I have 2nd row balcony tix for the Austin City Limits live show, can't wait.

Saw the inaugural nite of the RTF reunion tour 5th row center, awesome show.

7. Wow - That ZPZ band that Dweezil has put together is fabulousso to see them with the legendary RTF would be insane. I'm in Indiana, wonder how far I will have to drive to see this one.

EDIT* Oh heck - Not very far, they're coming to Indy
    I hope Jean-Luc Ponty comes out and does some stuff with ZPZ since he was in Zappa's band.

8. EGhart317

EGhart317

Oct 5, 2010
    Cleveland, OH
    if you dont mind me asking how much were your tickets? even balcony seats are nosebleed expensive in cleveland just wondering if its the same for everyone.

9. $69 is the ticket price for balcony seating but the usury fees get it up to $78 each(for 5 tix).
    Floor was $99 and Mezzanine $89 (under the balcony)
    Still gonna have to pay to park.
    I have not been to a show at the new ACL Live/Moody Theater venue but it should have pretty good sound, and 2nd row balcony should be rockin'.

Paid $125 to see RTF Reunion Tour 5th row center at the Paramount Theater

10. EGhart317

EGhart317

Oct 5, 2010
    Cleveland, OH
    That isn't horrible considering what you paid before. For Balcony seats at the State Theatre in Cleveland it's around $100. well worth it in my mind but still that's kinda heavy.

On an unrelated note anyone have any good RTF or Zappa concert experiences? Anyone ever get to meet any of the folks in either band?

11. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    The rear half of center orchestra at the Beacon cost me $94 w fees. The Front half of the orchestra would have been close to $150.

This will be my 5th time seeing ZPZ. I've seen them once a year since Dweezil started this thing. Incredible band - they always put on a great show.

As the openning act I'm only expected about an hour of ZPZ this time instead of their usual 2 1/2 hour show.

12. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Exactly what I was thinking

13. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

I'm thinking about going to this. I mean no offense, but are RTF worth seeing these days? What I mean is, are they still awesome live? Before I spend $70+ on tickets, I just want to make sure. Once again, I mean no offense, to the band or any fans. I just know I have seen some bands in the past that were definitely past their prime, and still paid decent money to see them, unknowingly.

14. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Well, they're not Hockey Players.(or just Rockers). Most great musicians have to be pretty close to death before they're not worth seeing. When is a musician's prime anyway? From Johnny Winter to Oscar Peterson, there's been plenty of old farts quite worth seeing. Plus, the RTF boys aren't that old.

15. Absolutely a worth while show especially for bass players, Stanley is in amazing playing shape and he and Lenny are so tight.
    Get to see them Tuesday nite and i think the show will be filmed.

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Wow! Gotta see if & when they're gonna be local.

BUMMER! Not scheduled in the Detroit area...yet(?).

17. Caught the show last nite and all I can say if they are in a town near you go see the show. As always Stanley owned the gig in so many ways, Chick was on fire in the role of the Leprechaun, Lenny was a monster of power and cool groove, Jean Luc and Frank were worthy additions to the band.
    Zappa Plays Zappa was super tight and played a very well received 1 hour set of Papa Z's besties, guest spots from Chick and Eric Johnson.
    It was at the Moody Theater (the home of ACL) and the show was taped. Could I be critical, sure, but what is the point even a bad show from those players is still a wonderful experience not to be missed.

18. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    I don't know about the current Gambale/Ponty version, but I saw the 2008 RTF reunion tour with Corea, Clarke, White, & Dimeola, and it was absolutely worth it. Everyone was not only on fire, but playing beyond the capabilities they evinced in their 1970's heyday. (Maturity is a good thing, imho!)

Chick especially...my god, I think his ears are even more impressive than his very impressive chops. Wonderfully deep music comes out of his every gesture.

Yeah, go see them.

19. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    They released a live album from their tour a couple years ago called "Returns". It's very good and will give you a solid idea of what they sound like now.

20. There is also a DVD from the tour shot at Montreaux