1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reuben Rogers

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by pmckee, Jul 19, 2007.

1. pmckee

pmckee

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston/San Diego
    I have just recently started listening to Reuben Rogers on the Aaron Goldberg records I have and he really is amazing. He's got this really big sound and great rhythmic ideas in his bass lines. I was wonering if anyone could reccommend any other stuff he's played on. Thanks,
    Pat

2. hey man check out
    Passage of Time - Joshua Redman
    he's also on some of Back East - Joshua Redman

3. pmckee

pmckee

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston/San Diego
    Hey does anyone know what kind of strings Reuben Rogers uses on his bass. They sound like gut strings. He gets a really dark/fat sound that I want to get. I have a feeling though it's more than just the the strings that gives him that sound!:smug:

4. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    I'm pretty sure Reuben has been using steel for awhile, at least ten years. The last time I saw him he was using Helicores I think. He's a good guy, really funny, and a great bass player. Here's his website, which includes a discography page.

5. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    His bass is huge. looks like a 7/8 or full size. Big dark sound. great sense of the beat. one of my faves.

6. He teaches at North Carolina right?

7. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    i think he pays rent in nyc while he's out touring most of the year.

8. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Last I saw him, he was living out here in West Orange.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Whoa! I just realized that he's playing here tonight with Joshua Redman.... aaack.

10. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    For all you NY'ers out there (or tri-state area'ers), I took a look at The Stone's calendar for upcoming performances, and I noticed Reuben is on a few dates there.

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    He sounded great, nice time and tone.

Oh.... and Greg Hutchinson was the s***. Big thumbs up.

12. met him briefly in Portland during the pdx jazz fest. very nice guy.
    --p

13. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    In talking with Bob Hurst, he said that Ruben Rodgers would be on the top of his call list.

14. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes. I saw that same trio in Athens, GA some months back and they were excellent. Reuben is a cool guy and a solid player.

15. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    I listened to Reuben last night in Boston (playing with Eric Harland) and they sounded their best. I've heard em a few times. They were on!

Reuben was using what I've always seen him with -- an Eden 4x10, a GK 800RB, full circle, miced up with an EV RE20 thru the house. His sound was decent live, dark,a little muddy for my taste. I think his strength is his time feel, whatever the groove may be. Wow, were they swinging.

16. jsxtal

jsxtal Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    if any of you RR fans havent heard the new charles lloyd album Mirror he sounds so amazing

17. Last time I checked, Reuben was using Spiro's on his 3/4 bass. Beautiful player and person. Kicked my butt at the SJW along with Larry G.