1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Revolution Solo II vs. Full Circle

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Touch, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Revolution Solo II

16 vote(s)
    37.2%
  2. Full Circle

27 vote(s)
    62.8%
  1. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Now that I've sold Sam Sherry my Underwood (thanks Sam!) I need some input whether I should install a Revolution Solo II or Full Circle.

The patient is a 1942 Kay with adjusters and Obligatos. EA iAmp 500 into an EA VL-110 or an Acme B2.

Thanks!

Touch

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    I just saw your post so this may come too late. FC all the way. No contest.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  3. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Wow!

10 to 1 in favor of the FC.

I was just at a bluegrass bass master class (don't snicker now...) and nearly all the instructors (Mark Schatz, Missy Raines, Alan Bartram and Joel Landsberg) had FCs on their basses.

I'll be placing an order for one soon.

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    I was happy with the RSII for almost a year, but feedback was a constant problem on my bass. There is a good chance you will like the FC.

5. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    I took the plunge and finally got the Full Circle.

Installation was a breeze on the '42 Kay.

First impression at home in the studio is WOW! The tone seems much more detailed in the midrange. I also noticed a better output balance across the strings.

It also seems to be more immune to feedback at least in the studio.

I like it so much I'm getting another one for the carved bass.

Touch.

6. Bumping this ol thread up for more opinions.....

I have a Rev Solo on my bess ATM and also scored a used Full Circle recently. The Rev Solo does sound good but it annoys me if it gets bumped in transit and I need to find its sweet spot again on stage. I don't have adjusters on my bass presently so will need to pay to get the FC installed.

So what say you TB? worth getting it installed?

7. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    Realist ia a good choice for someone without adjusters. I just got a msp, which also needs no adjusters. I've only used it in my living room-got a gig Wednesday. It's got possibilities.....

8. Isn't the Rev Solo in a wooden enclosure?
    What about marking the position with two pencil lines over the bridge->Rev Solo->bridge on both sides? That way you only have to reposition the Rev Solo so that the lines are uninterrupted and you are there again.

james condino and vin*tone like this.
  9. Yes, a spruce enclosure. The pencil trick will get you in the neighborhood but it's not a silver bullet.

10. True. But then you think.... Is it really in the best spot? I'll just fiddle with it some more. - feedback - Nope.

Maybe I just have pickup GAS.

11. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Maybe it's because my RS was fitted at Upton, but I've never experienced feedback with mine after just over a year of gigging. I don't play super loud gigs, but I have played on large club stages with really powerful PA's and not had a problem. Mileage may vary.

12. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    I've used both and much prefer the Full Circle. It seems to have a richer, more detailed, less nasally mid-range tone than the Rev Solo. Also, I've NEVER had any feedback issues with the FC, no matter what the volume or the position of the bass; not so with the Rev Solo.

Something else I've noticed with bridge mounted pick-ups is that the sound seems to get more bassy and less mid-rangey as the pick-up's normal placement moves closer to the top of the bass:

Fishman BP-100 (mounted on the top of the bridge) = most mid-rangey/least bassy
    Realist (mounted under bridge foot) = least mid-rangey/most bassy

Anyone else experience this?

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021