1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Revolution Solo Pickup with Dresden bridge?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Bobby King, May 7, 2006.

1. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Hi folks,

I just got a real good deal on a used Strunal hybrid bass. I strung it up with guts and it sounds great. The bass has one of those German, "Dresden" style bridges that have a different sort of wing shape. The bridge is at a good height for me and otherwise is fine but I can't use a regular Underwood pickup with it. I'd rather not have to have a whole new bridge made.
    I heard that the Revolution Solo pickup can work with this type of bridge and so I ordered one with a thick (9mm) casing.
    I understand that you sand down the wooden casing until it makes a proper fit.

Has anyone used this pickup with a Dresden bridge and how did it work out? Any tips?

Thanks!

Bobby

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I also own a Strunal 5/20 (Hybrid) that I love! you have to post pics of the bass:hyper:

3. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN

This one is also a 5/20. I got it used from a Guitar Center store here in Nashville for $1200. It's my second bass (I also have a 1930's King) and I bought it so I could keep one bass strung with guts. I've been constantly going back and forth. They originally wanted like $1725 for it but it sat there for weeks. I went in and told them that you can just about buy them new for that price and haggled and they let it go. It's in great shape (I don't have pics). It had Supernil strings on it and still sounded good with a "gutty" punch. I took it home and put some real guts on it and it's great! It sings and has good volume and response on the low end, too.

My son has a 5/35 Strunal which is actually a slightly more expensive model and that one has Superflexibles on it. It's also nice but I actually think I like this 5/20 better. It may be the particular instrument. One thing I don't love about the Strunals is the cheap hardware -- the endpin, tuners, tailpiece wire. You can replace that stuff though.

But that brings me back to my original question -- the Dresden style bridge (why do those Czechs have to use those damn things?) is at a good height with no adjusters and if the Revolution Solo pickup that I ordered works, I'll be good to go, but that's the big "if".

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the 5/35 is Strunals lower model hybrid. With none flamed back and sides. My 5/20 has flamed back and sides....I definitely think Strunal basses are over looked. I changed my stock bridge to a more common design bridge

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know...I'd probably just replace the bridge with a bridge with height adjusters rather than buy a new pickup. It's probably a comparable price to do it. The Underwood is a real good pickup. But I have a Rev Solo on my Upton bass and it's by far my favorite pickup, so that's still a good call.

I don't know if I'd sand the pickup or sand the bridge to get it to fit right. I guess that would depend on the bridge. But if I had a non-adjustable bridge, I'd be more inclined to sand it if I could since I'd probably get so frustrated with not being able to change string height that I'd eventually buy a new bridge.

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Bobby, have you talked directly to the guys at Upton about fitting the SOLO on your type of bridge? You could PM eroy here on TB, or email Eric at eroy@uptonbass.com. I'm pretty sure they could give you some good ideas. And getting a good fit is key.

7. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Hey Bobby...sorry I have been out of the shop for a few days. Been up at our secret location working on new secret stuff. ;)

I put together your custom sized pickup today, and it will ship tomorrow.

As an alternative though...if you want (and can live without) your bridge for a few days, you can send that to me and I will install the pickup into your bridge making any modifications to your bridge that may be needed. You will still have to play with placement a bit...but at least you know it will be fit as best as it can be.

Let me know. eroy@uptonbass.com