Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rewiring 8ohm to 4ohm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Toasted, May 24, 2004.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I did a little search before posting, couldnt find what i want.

I'm considering a Mesa walkabout + Ashdown 4x8mini rig.

Currently the 4x8 is 8ohm, is there a way it can be rewired to be 4ohm, and draw the full 300 watts from the walkabout.

Whilst im at it, sounds like a great rig... dont it :D :hyper:

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  3. You can't rewire your cab. You would have to purchase 4 new speakers with 16 ohms each, that'd be the easiest but costly way.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    thanks. not i feel stupid. not the first time, wont be the last time :)

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Makes no sence, fellas!
    If you put in a gadget with an impedance parallel to another gadget with an impedance, you have a new total impedance. Basic electrotheory.

So, if I have an 8ohm woofer, and put in an 8ohm impedance in parallel, I have a total impedance of 4ohms.

The possible problem I may face is, that the two impedances have different frequency dependencies. Like if you put in two woofers of different specifications...

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    True, but...

A woofer's "rated" impedance is the nominal impedance. There are probably only one or two freqencies where the voice coil is truly 8 ohms (or whatever). However, we use the nominal impedance as a worst case value.

I suspect that some woofers can exhibit an impedance below their rated nominal impedance...hence the Acme-Carvin shutdown problem that we read about occassionally.

The point of this thread is that you can't take four 8 ohm woofers and interconnect them (in a normal, equal power distribution configuration) to create a 4 ohm nominal impedance...you either get 2 ohms (parallel), 8 ohms (series/parallel) or 32 ohms (series).

7. So if you start with 16 ohm woofers then you can wire 4 of them to obtain your 4 ohm cab...did I understand this correctly?

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yep, it you wire them all parallel