1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rewiring avatar cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lewislngvw, Feb 27, 2008.

1. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    i recently took the back plate off my avatar 212 to check my connections.....dont ask why.....and i was wondering if anyone has rewired the cables inside the cab with higher quality cables and if so did it improve the sound any?..i just thought if i used smaller gauge wires if it would improve the sound of an already great sounding cab.....:D

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It won't. Don't bother.

3. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    i didnt think it would but thought id ask anyway......thx for the response....more trouble than its worth i guess.....:D

4. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    Maybe it's a longview thing. Every time i get a new bass or cab i have to open it up to see if anything can be done with the wiring. The two passive basses i've had ther were brand new got rewired with (i think) 22 ga cloth covered wiring and new caps. as far as cabs, i've never questioned what the manufacturer had done. just felt like looking. no harm in knowing exactly how these things work.

5. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    we just need to know dont we??...do you play locally??...maybe i might come hear you play.....

6. Yep.. Even before LOPO sent me my custom-sized 212, I had already designed and built a custom harness with much thicker cable/ends than what they sent with the cabinet. I even sent them pics of it to kinda 'rub it in' a little. The one I built is probably 75% more robust than what their default harnesses are.

Go for it... make your own to suit yourself.. just use the best materials you can find thou.

7. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Rub it in? They probably got a good laugh out of it, as it seems like the joke was on you. We are talking about the internal wiring of a speaker cabinet, right?

When I test my wiring, I always set my multimeter to "robustness" and range it to "probably". I mostly get possible data that way.

8. This raises an interesting question that's always bugged me. If there's 3 feet of paired 18 gage wire inside the cabinet, why would you need anything bigger than 18 gage in the cable between the amp and cab? (assuming it's all of 6 feet or less) How can bigger speaker cable gage be of benefit when the wire inside the cab is so small by comparison?

9. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    IMHO, it can't. People use thicker wires because of two reasons: the (mistaken) belief that bigger is better, or because of the (mistaken) belief that thicker wire is more roadworthy. Yeah, maybe if you own a PA system doing one-nighters, it's a good idea to get thick speaker wire, but for most of us, it's overkill.

10. Not hardly. Actually I'm laughing at you for such a dumb comment. Of course I'm talking about the "internal wiring of cabinet" .. I do wiring and cables all the time. Sounds like the joke's on you.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You don't, assuming it is all of 6 feet or less. What counts is the total length of wire between the head and drivers, in this case we'll say 6 feet for the cord and another two feet inside the cab for a total of 8 feet. The resistance of 8 feet of 18ga wire, two strands, is 0.1 ohms. Anything less than 10% of the total load impedance is inaudible, so that's well within tolerance. But current handling is also important, and 18ga is a bit shy there, so I go a gauge or two higher. OTOH anything larger than 14 ga is just a waste of copper.

12. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    Yeah man. I play at First Baptist Church in the 8:45 contemporary service and then i am usually at the Mr. Jones Jam Session at Texas Players.

13. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey, if you want to re-wire stuff you don't even own yet to gain nothing, be my guest.

While you're in there, you should re-wire the speaker coils too. The wire they use for those is really thin.

"I do wiring and cables all the time" doesn't mean that what you're doing is necessary or audible.