Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rhonda Smith's Rig!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DWBass, Aug 12, 2004.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Holy Cow, have y'all seen her latest rig?? Mesa M-Pulse 600 and 4 2x15 Mesa Powerhouse Cabs!! Anyone here have experience with this rig or similar? It's only 600 watts but still...8 15" drivers?!?! Wow!

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    She actually slaves a 600 into ANOTHER 600. :) So, 1 amp drives each pair of 2x15's. Actually (and I just found this out) Mesa switched the 2x15's into 8 ohm cabs, instead of the old Diesel 4 ohm versions. But yeah, I used to have one of the 2x15's. It's a pretty amazing experience to plug one of those in and stand in front of it. :) Especially if you later add a 2x10, a la Flea, circa a few years ago. Great stuff.

3. That is an amazing and mind-boggling setup. I would love to play through it :bassist:

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Awesome, that's a crap load of power :0.

Don't mean to high-jack the thread but, why are you selling your m-pulse rockstarbassist?

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Because I have to be honest with myself. I sold my SansAmp BDDI because I was using it WAY too much, and never really even messing with my Mesa- only using it mainly as a power amp. So I wanted to get more use out of the $1400 amp I bought new, but I jammed a few weeks back and then heard a band play through a SansAmp RBI + power amp setup, and the tone was just amazing. Whatever SansAmp does to their stuff just makes me want that sound.

Plus, I have a Diesel 6x10 cab on the way that takes 900 watts @ 4 ohms, so I want more power to pump through it. It's a great amp for what I was doing, but I'm either going to go the pre/power amp setup now, or go back to the M2000 I used to play.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Prince and his band are huge Mesa users. They've been buying tons of stuff from us for years (usually with purple suede finishes :) ).

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Buying? No freebies?? :D

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Hahahahahaha... from Mesa? :) To quote a G.C. employee, "If Mesa won't give free gear to Eddie Van Halen, they sure as hell aren't going to give it to anyone else!"

9. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I love Rhonda Smith. I'm going marry her one day.

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Even Carlos Santana has never gotten a free amp from us... and he's responsible for the name "Boogie". :D

11. hmmmm....she gets roadies too....remember that :hyper:

12. Wow then I must say I'm content with my discount :-D
    Order was put in today for my Powerhouse 4x10. gotta wait till the next batch is made. then I'll order my 1x15 when I get the $.

13. i was just about to post a thread on her rig too,....i love it, i want it, i want her :p ....but what a beautiful rig, even 1 or 2 2x15's will make me ultra happy

14. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wait, so 600 watts can drive 4 x 15's??? Or is this because Mesa Boogie likes to to do the conservative rating thang? Can any amp truthfully rated at 600 watts run 4 x 15s? Please explain why an MB can do this but running any ol' 600watter would probably get laughed at by those 2x15 cabs...

Hmm...I'm seriously thinking about selling my SVT 4 Pro for a crack at that M-Pulse 600...

ACK!!! GAS, LEAVE ME BE!

Oh who am I kidding, that Mpulse is awesome... :D

-T

15. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    The best part about that rig is HER! :hyper:

16. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston

Get in line, pal, I saw her first!

:D

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    When each cab is rated at 8 ohms, yeah probably. :) The amp is set for 4, so who knows. I had trouble powering my 2x10+1x15 stack with my 600, but somehow she must pull it off! :) However, if I had that much speaker space, I wouldn't NEED to turn up to 3!
    Let me know if you want to have a crack at mine... :D

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, I don't think she's running them all at once, but if she's using two MPulse 600s that would be no sweat at all. If each cab is an eight ohm version, then each MPulse would be handling a 4 ohm load, which ain't no thang at all. I'd be willing to bet that she's only using one or two live at one time though.

19. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 600 struggles at powering the 2x10 + 1x15? Really? Is this common for this amp? I've been reading on here that this amp can put out like crazy! Surprisingly so because of the supposedly conservative rating. And isn't it a bit weird that homegirl can power her 2 - 2x15s with one 600, and all their low end power hunger (on stage nonetheless!), but it can't make a 2x10 + 1x15 loud enough? Or have I got it backwards? Does it take more effort to power the latter setup?

And what's with the M-pulse's "2000 watts peak"? Does that have something to do with the fact that their 600 watt rating far outdoes other similar wattage amps that have a slightly higher peak? How is it peaked so high? I've never seen such a drastic continous/peak difference.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm considering an amp for a future pair of Schroeder 1210 cabs. The 600 is 4 ohms, so I'd run one on it in the meantime but maybe figure out a future solution. Maybe a future run at a Big Block 750 since it can handle 2 ohms? What do people think of the 750 now that it's been out for a little bit?

extremely curious... :ninja:

-T

20. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    September 9th baby!

Marshall