1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rhythm Changes - 2 Feel?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Leroy La Qua, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Leroy La Qua

Leroy La Qua

Nov 6, 2005
    Can anyone recommend some examples of great 2 feel playing over Rhythm Changes?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    You might check out some of the gypsy swing guitarists for that. The bassist is often playing mostly a two feel against a four-on-the-floor rhythm guitarist, the combination of which can be wildly propulsive. Aside from Django himself, you can check out modern masters of the genre like Bireli Lagrene, The Rosenberg Trio, and Romane.

3. kennypm

kennypm

Sep 27, 2008
    Durham, NC
    Butch Warren plays 2-feel on "Second Balcony Jump" from Dexter Gordon's Go - I like what he plays because it's simple and it fits. I think P.C. might play 2-feel on "The Theme" on The New Miles Davis Quintet, but I might be making that up. I'm sure Milt Hinton has some 2-feel slap stuff on rhythm changes, but I can't name specific records. I feel like 95% of the 2-feel playing on rhythm changes is just 1-6-2-5 / 3-6-2-5 and walking quarter notes on the bridge.

4. Stan Haskins

Stan Haskins

Nov 17, 2005
    NY and Miami
    Slam Stewart's classic recording of "I Got Rhythm" - duet w/Don Byas