Rhythm patterns

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by elarue, Aug 24, 2018.

1. elarue

elarue

Jul 25, 2018
    Does anyone know of a good resource to find rhythm patterns to practice? I'm just talking about patterns that I can practice on an open string, and then once I get them down, I can apply notes to them.

Thanks!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Garret Graves likes this.
  3. Groove Master

Groove Master Commercial User

Apr 22, 2011
    Montreal
    Author of Groove 101, Slap 101 and Technique 101
    Here is an excerpt from my book Technique 101 with open strings and rhythms study for sight-reading and technique.
    Something like that? Have fun, I hope it will challenge you :)
    IMG-0326.JPG IMG-0326.JPG

4. elarue

elarue

Jul 25, 2018
    Perfect! That’s exactly what I’m looking for!

Groove Master likes this.
  5. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    After checking your profile I assume you have been playing for a relative short time. With this in mind I run up on 4/4, 3/4 and 5/8 time signatures the most. So keeping it dirt simple work on falling into a groove with those three time signatures.

Metronome if that is all you have, however drum tracks are what we end up using when we join a band.

Do a Google on how to play drums. An afternoon here may answer most of your questions.

Good luck.

6. elarue

elarue

Jul 25, 2018
    I played upright (classical) bass for several years in middle and high school and into college. I picked up a bass guitar for my high school graduation intending to apply my knowledge of upright to the bass guitar, but that never really happened because I was more focused on singing than playing. If I would play an instrument, it would be guitar or piano.

Wow, you run into 5/8 a lot? That’s not one I would expect. What are some examples of 5/8 songs you’ve run into?

7. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    I have several Praise songs in 5/8. Which ones right off the top of my head I do not remember, would have to go through my gig book. Which is not going to happen as we are moving and I'm taking the books today to the church for the next bassist.

Mary Charles and I are moving to a retirement home. It's time......

Happy trails.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Whousedtoplay likes this.
  8. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Are you still going to participate in our TB discussions?

9. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
  10. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    For sure!

11. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    The Belson/Breines modern reading book is the top of my list for rhy studies. The 4/4 book can get you through most of what you’ll ever come across and the odd time book is killer.
    In my 20 plus years of weekly worship music, both kinds lol (U2 ish rock and modern Gospel), I can’t say I ever came across a song in 5/8....mind you I haven’t played in a Bulgarian church!

12. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Thank you.
    It would be difficult to imagine our TB forum without your unpretentiously - sincere comments helping bass players.
    Thank you for your dedication to TB.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021