Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ribs!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Jun 2, 2005.

1. I'm a total novice at grilling, and a few weeks ago I attempted to do a rack of ribs on the grill. They turned out great, but I'm sure there are good recipes/techniques to get the perfect rack of ribs.

I have a gas grill and got a smoker box with some hickory chips in it, put the ribs on the opposite side of the flame and let them cook all day. Today, I've got twice the amount of ribs- so there's a rack on the upper level and a rack on the lower level. I didn't season the ribs at all- and I'm looking for suggestions for seasoning prior to cooking.

Anyone care to share any recipes or techniques?

2. I'll have to get my wife's recipe. She just did some last weekend (in the oven for 8 hours). Some of the best I've had.

Mike

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    8 hours in the oven, man that's torture. I don't think I could smell good ribs cookin for that long without being tempted to break in and devour.

I'll be watchin this thread. I'd love to get a kick-A recipe myself.

4. First, you have got to get rid of that gas grill . . . but we can work with that. Here is my recipe for a dry rub . . . I won't even give it to my family, but I will give it to a TB'er.

RIB SEASONING
    Makes about 2 cups

1 cup sugar (or brown sugar, but be careful about burning it)
    1/2 cup salt
    2 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons red pepper
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon ground celery seed
    --mix together, rub all over ribs and let set for about 20 minutes. It will get wet, then you can put it on the grill without it falling off (like it would in the dry state)

SLOW AND LOW is how to cook ribs. Low, dry heat, and as much time as you have to spare.

5. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    i agree get a charcol they are cheaper and everything tastes better when it gets smoked but in a gas grill you don't get that

6. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    There's this really weird, almost transparent layer of flesh that you must peel off. Then, you boil them for a couple minutes to partially cook them. Baste, rub, etc. after that, then sear on the grill, turn down the heat to slow cook. This is one way to do it, but I do know it works well. Don't forget that the quality of the meat makes all the difference!

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Soak them in bourbon then slow cook.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Soak them overnight in a mixture of Fresca soda and Italian dressing. Don't buy the el-cheapo store brand Italian dressing, spend a couple extra bucks for the good stuff.

One bottle of dressing and three or four cans of Fresca.

-Mike

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    How much for an order of ribs?
    Two fifty
    So that's about fifty cents a rib
    About that
    I'll take one
    Alright (turns to kitchen) One order of ribs.
    -Cook- One order of ribs!
    no, no. One rib.
    One rib?
    Yeah. I sure am hungry!
    ok... (turns to kitchen) Make that one rib.
    -Cook- One rib?
    One rib.

10. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have five words for you my friend:

JAMIE OLIVER'S SPICY PORK RIBS

Search for those exact words in google. They are seriously the best ribs you have ever tasted.

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Oh man, ribs are so good.

My mom usually puts them in the oven for a little bit then my dad BBQ's em.

12. I have no idea how to cook ribs, but my friend cooked some on memorial day. I'll have to get a recipe.

He made a smoker out of 2 flower pots and a circular heating pad. He's a weirdo.

13. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I haven't really tackled ribs yet, but from what I've read, quick boiling yields maximum fall-off-the-bone tenderness, skipping the boiling yields maximum flavor.

I know it's counter-intuitive, but I might respectfully disagree with MJ5150 on the cheap Italian dressing... Many of the legends of Texas style barbeque swear by cheap Wishbone Italian dressing. It's nasty stuff and I'd never put it on a salad, but I hesitantly tried it anyway after finding it mentioned over and over again, and found that it seems to have just the right sugar content ("good" Italian dressing isn't going to have much/any sugar) and viscosity (good stuff isn't going to be thickened with vegetable gum) to be perfect for basting meats during smoking. I've tried it and now I'm a believer.

:hyper:

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No problem bro. I was actually referring to the really cheap stuff that looks like nothing more than a bottle of water with a shot of vinegar in it, and a drop of oil. Usually store brand, but not always.

Wishbone has worked well for us. Kraft does a good job as well. We have had the most success with Bernstein or Newmans though.

-Mike

15. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    only sixteen but my families grill master,

so, I suggest a dry rub and let it soak in, 20 minutes to a few days, the once the ribs have been flavored put on the bottom rack on the lowest heat you can get without the fire having a chance to go out, coooking time can be anywhere from 5-6 hours depending on your tastes. once you close to ready either make a BBq sauce or store bought (montgomery inn is one of the best I've had, highly recommended)

let that cook for about 10-30 minutes and you good

dry rub, feel free to experiment, brown sugar, salt, paprika, pepper, crushed dried peppers, etc. all varying

sauce, dijo'n musterd ketchup, brown sugar, salt, etc are base ingrediant.

feel free to try one just rub and one soaked in the sauce for a few minutes or days, or inject it in choice spots.

and above all, in the name of flavor, do not, I repeat do not over boil, junt get them to where they will be just tender enough and then put the on the ack an leave closed til done or time to put on sauce.

also, watch good eats with alton brown on the food network, tells you more than you need to know.

pm me if you want something more exact for rub/ sauce recipe's

but crhoton's was a really nice one.

16. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    My secret recipe includes a hint of Blair's After Death sauce, but that's all I'm willing to share. ;)

17. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Here's my not-so-secret-anymore recipe: (use at your own risk)

Put the ribs on the barbecue, and sprinkle salt and pepper on it. Let it cook until it's not raw anymore.

:D

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    THIS THREAD IS NOT BIG ENOUGH!!! We need much more...

So go on.

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Here is what i am trying on New Years along with other type of ribs in case this glaze isn't good:

This is taken from emerils, but it's for oven, i ma bbq it, In () are my adjustments and well i ma do them a little different. Day before i will take the ribs, cut up a bunch of onion and garlic, pepper salt etc and store it all together like i marinade pork kebabs maybe with some alcohol. :)

# GLAZE:
    # 2 (12-ounce) cans root beer (bottles, of good root beer)
    # 2 tablespoons hot pepper jelly
    # 1 bay leaf
    # 2 tablespoons steak sauce (recommended: Emeril's Steak Sauce)
    # 1 teaspoon Caribbean Pick-A-Peppa sauce (maybe, along with some (a lot) spicy peppers to make it spicy and sweet)
    # 6 whole cloves (much more garlic)
    # 1 stick cinnamon (probably not)
    # 1 orange, zested and juiced
    # 1 lemon, zested and juiced
    # 1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped (probably not)
    # 2 teaspoons bitters (recommended: Angostura) (probably not, the spicy small peppers will do the work)
    # 1 cup bourbon
    # 1 cup sugar
    # RIBS:
    # 4 to 5 pounds baby back ribs (2 full slabs, each cut in 1/2)
    # 2 tablespoons kosher salt
    # 1 tablespoon paprika
    # 3/4 teaspoon granulated garlic powder (real Garlic)
    # 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated onion powder (real onion)
    # 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    # 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    (wont rub it, will marinade in it though)

(All X3)

20. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Anyone ever buy Lloyd's pre-made ribs? Those are pretty good and can be made in... uhhh... 30 minutes?