1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ric Finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sergio, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    So my dad is getting a Ric for Chirstmas, and I'm getting a 57RI. I know the 57 has a nitro finish, and the foam on most guitar stands has a chemical reaction with nitro. I don't see any info on the finish for the Ric, so I was wondering if it's nitro or not and if my dad will have to worry about putting it on a stand.

Edit: COme to think of it, if there is a problem, he could just get a stand with the rubber pads on it.

2. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Lucky guys. Sounds like the beginning of a good holiday.

I have no idea what Ric's are finished with and, if you read the following thread from the Ric site on finishing, you won't either (http://www.rickenbacker.com/factory_finish.asp). All it seems to tell you for sure is that the finish is neither nitro nor polyester. However, the Owners Manual for the 4003 says this:

"Protect your purchase from various chemicals such as household cleaners, chlorine, etc. (Chlorine, which may be found in items such as foam rubber padding or packaging
    materials, polyvinyl plastic bags, imported guitar stands, etc., causes the finish to melt, dissolve, or appear tacky.)"

I don't know why the foam in an imported guitar stand would be a problem while foam from a domestic stand would not. If I were you, I'd Email Ric for a little more clarification.

Hope your Dad enjoys his bass. :D

3. I don't think you'll have any finish problem with the Ric in any stand. unless you're talking long term storage. That said you can easily do what I did several years ago.
    Replace the cheap crappy foam with surgical tubing. Go to any medical supply company (most larger pharmacys carry it as well)
    find tubing to fit, it comes in a variety of sizes. you'll need to use something like sicilicon spray lube to be able to put it on but when you are done you'll have a stand that is 100% silicone and no finish issues

4. My Ric is on a foam stand when I don't play it and so far nothing at all has happened to the finish.

Whatever Rickenbacker finishes their basses in, I want it in perfume form for the case. I absolutly love that smell, though it has faded considerably.

5. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    Thanks guys.

I got to play the Ric today and it definately didn't seem like a nitro finish. Even it it was a problem though, I have a stand with rubber padding to put it on. I can't wait to see the look on his face Christmas morning when he wakes up and sees a Ric sitting infront of the tree.;)

Sadly though, my bass isn't supposed to be in until next Tuesday or Wednsday. Looks like my dad wins Christmas this year...:(

6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Rickenbacker use their special "Conversion Varnish" to seal their instruments with. They haven't used Nitro-Cellulous on their instruments in decades.

It is recommended that you take precautions when placing a RIC on a stand or wall hanger for extended periods of time as the finish will become marked by the stand-hanger. Surgical rubber placed over the rubber on the stand-hangers will prevent any potential marking.

TD

7. anyone know about finish reactions to the type of foam tubing used to winterize pipes?
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2126067&cp=1254880.1255024.1306491&parentPage=family&searchId=1306491

i have a warwick rockstand and the foam padding on there didnt seem to be up to handling the weight of my basses, so i cut some of this foam to size and slid it on. works great, and i havent seen any reactions in the finish, but i would like some consenting opinions. thanks!

:edit: merry christmas to you and your dad! wow!