1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rick Turner Renaissance string volume question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AudioDwebe, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Hey guys...

So I recently picked up a 5-string Ren and noticed that the B (and to a slighter degree the E) are quieter in volume than the rest of the strings. I didn't immediately notice this, but after a few days it sort of dawned on me that I had to play a bit harder on the B and E strings to get the same volume as the other three strings.

I've also got a FL 4-string and on that, I notice the loudness to be even across all four strings. Even played unplugged, the loudness is equal, whereas on the 5-string, even unplugged I notice the B and E are softer in sound than the rest of the strings.

I did a bit of research and tried adjusting the piezo, along with adding aluminum foil. Still, there seems to be no change. (I did, however, notice a piece of aluminum tape under the section of the B string when I first removed the saddle and before doing any research. I figured that might be a protective coating that accidently got left behind just that part and thought be removing it the contact would improve. Turns out I should have done research BEFORE I started messing around with stuff.)

I tried adding aluminum (two layers) under the B and E string sections and that didn't seem to make them any louder. The last thing I tried was adjusting the pickup.

The only two things I haven't tried yet is adding aluminum again "after" moving the piezo or some electrical take under the loud strings.

So...

My question to Ren 5 users is this: Do you find the volume to be approximately 85% of other strings on the B and 90% or so on the E, or do they all come out equal in loudness?

I want to try all home remedies before taking it to a luthier. On that note, any experience luthier should be able to fix this problem, right (assuming it actually is a problem)?

Apologize if this post difficult to read or understand.

Thanks for your help.

*** I forgot to mention that this Ren 5 was originally a FL which the previous owner had turned into a fretted. The quality of the work seems like it shouldn't be an issue. He told me the luthier who did this changed the nut to compensate for the frets. I initially thought that the saddle would have needed an adjustment, but after learning how a piezo works, decided the saddle probably didn't have anything to do with the volume issue. ***

Mamoru