1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4003 2- piece scratch plate same as 1?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbyhappy, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Ok, Didn't really know where to post this but..

Just wondering can you fit a 1 piece scratch plate on a Rickenbacker 4003 with a 2 piece? Anyone tried with luck?

Thanks

Nathan

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    1980 Rickenbacker introduced the first version of the 4003 bass. This new bass had the truss rod adjustment at the body end of the neck. So they gave it a 2 piece pickguard. About 1986 they introduced the modern version of the 4003 with the rod adjustment back at the headstock and a one piece pickguard.

3. oh that's why its a two piece then.
    Thanks

I just think it looks smarter as a one piece are they the same size?

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    almost the same size ... actually they are about 4 or more slightly different pickguards for the 4001/4003 basses ...

Also in the old days they were made by hand and they all were slightly different from each other.

The 2 piece is best for the early 4003 basses because then when you adjust the rods you don't have to remove the whole pickguard.

5. Yes i see your point but i'm not much of a tweaker and it would only be done if its going in to service when they'll probably be taking it off anyway.

I may see if i can pick up a 1 piece just hope it fits!

6. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    FYI:

I have a brand-new (one-piece) pickguard, ordered straight from Rickenbacker.com. For the record, it does not fit my 1982 (two-piece) model 4003.

It's not even close – mounting the pickguard would require routing the body to make it fit. The holes for the pots are in different positions, and the section where the controls are actually hangs over the edge of the body.

Very different shape than the 1982 pickguard.

7. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    If you're going to get a new pick guard and don't mind that it's not factory issued, the best bet is to do a tracing of your original complete with the screw hole locations. At least a couple popular third party pick guard manufacturers I've used in the past did good work with my templates sent to them first.

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    For many years I thought about replacing my 2-piece guard on my '80 4003 but decided against it and I'm happy with my decision.
    DSC00193.