1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4003!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by panic_striken, Mar 25, 2006.

1. panic_striken

panic_striken Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2005
    I just got my first Ric about a month ago, and it has amazed more and more everyday. I can get just about any tone I want with just a little patience and tweaking. First thing I did was get rid of the chrome cover, and traded it for the pickgaurdian upgrade. That allowed me to play finger style. Then I started messing around with the Ric-o-Sound and two amps/rigs. I use my neck pup for an all clean balls out low sound, and my bridge (ran to a seperate rig) for my effects sounds ran through varoius effects. This allows me to hold down the bottom end and still add color and uniqueness to my bass lines. I still wasn't getting enough "bite" in my tone. It just seemed to be too bassy. So, I began to tweak the knobs until I found the bite I wanted, but it was still a little overridden by the bass. So I dropped my neck pup down away from the strings a little, and DAMN!!!!!! This tone could bite through nails!!!!!! Think like almost the tone flea has on "Higher Ground" but I'm playing fingerstyle:D :bassist: If you give a Ric some time and tought the tone possiblities are simply endless, and they are classy and dead sexy:p

[​IMG]

2. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Oh man that's great. I want a Ric really badly, but I won't be able to afford one for a while. But still, congrats! Treat her well.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I'd love to see the pickgaurdian upgrade. If you take a pic of it, please post it!

4. panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    This isn't mine, but it will give you an idea.

[​IMG]

5. +1
    My entire predicament, summed up by another.:)

Does the pickguardian replacement affect the tone?

6. panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    NO, none at all!!!!!!! It just allows you to play fingerstyle easier. I am not a pick player so it makes my life simplier:) Oh, and it looks much better than the gapping hole left if you remove the chrome cover.

7. Murph45

Murph45

Dec 10, 2005
    Hanover, Mass
    Hey Panic-striken,
    Looks like you purchased your 4003 from PM Blues in Rhode Island. Great guys to deal with. I purchased a Ric360 from them. I'm curious they stock their 4003s with the vintage pickup option in the neck. I've heard that this pickup is much more "mellower" than the standard neck pickups. I wondering if this could have added to your tone problem.
    Murph45

8. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Welcome to the club!! I've been playing Rics since the 70s and love 'em as much today as I did then!

[​IMG]

9. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    I really have to (repectfully) disagree with you on this. It definietly effected the tone of my former '79 4001. After putting in the plastic surround, I could never get the bass to growl like it did before. It dawned on me that it might have something to do with the sort of "Telecaster Effect". Telecaster guitars have a one piece combination metal bridge and pickup-suround. This surround/bridge is ferous (has iron in the aloy) and is hence magneticaly reactive. On a Tele' the ferous surround acts as a sort of transducer, it alows the pickup to pickup some of the body's vibrations. This adds more meat to the tone this is what gives Teles their signature growl. I kind of figure this is what's happening with the Rickenbacker surround, it's alowing the pickup to read some of the body's vibrations.

I dunno' maybe it was just my imagination, but I could just never get that thing to sound right with the plastic surround on there. I WAS able tog et the pickups ballanced though (somehting I could never quite do with the metal surround on). That all said, if it works for you GO WITH IT! If you play finger style, it definitely makes life a bit easier.

~Paul :)

10. panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Nah, I got my 4003 from a fellow TB'er. I just nabbed that one to show what my fireglo looked like. Now, as far as the pickup cover.............I never really noticed anything. You must notice the year difference and model difference in our basses. In the later models the chrome piece may have played a larger role.

11. Oh yeah - vintage pickup!

12. hey Panic how much up or down did you go with the pup ? and I just ordered my Pickguardian for my 4003. The cover had to go but the hole is groosum. hope to hear from you soon. Thanks nice job and I love my Ric. i had to get it since I am getting back into the bass after 30 years and lost my first one. I got mine from bass emporium real great folks... how do I upload a picture?

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    +1!
    personally i think those plexi bridge pickup surrounds as ugly as sin. if you want cover the gaping hole and retain the original looks and tone, i'd use one of these:

[​IMG]

BTW, to the OP----- CONGRATS! she's a real beauty!

http://www.tubeampology.com/2501.html

14. Billy3000

Billy3000

Dec 18, 2008
    Very nice! I just got one just like that a couple weeks ago and I am just as in love with mine!

15. Billy3000

Billy3000

Dec 18, 2008
    holy crap! Thanks for posting this!! I've never seen it, and this is exactly what I was thinking about today, and was wondering why nobody made something like this!

16. Wow, awesome testimonial. Congrats and enjoy your new bass, it sounds like you have the right attitude.

And beware the TB party poopers. I think there's a lot of jealousy from people on this forum who didn't take the time and patience to explore a Ric the way you are.

17. bassguitar808

bassguitar808

Jul 9, 2010
    I fully support this thread!!

I wanted a Ric since forever, finally got one, it rules!!

going to get one of those deluxe bridge covers too !

18. tkcthulu

tkcthulu

Nov 15, 2010
    Calgary, AB
    For those still looking at Ric's as too expensive and think it will be a long time before they can get it... Just keep your eye on the prize and keep working for it

19. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Best basses ever! Congrats, and welcome to the club!

th_012.

20. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago