1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker Bass Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cardinalcorr, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Here are some Ric style basses I had made over seas. There are copies/clones, whatever you like to call them, that are mass produced. You can get them on DH Gate, MadeinChina, etc. I bought one of those back in 2013 and they were crap, in my opinion, ("Basswood", 22 fret, headstock tilt too extreme, the body was just about as thick as a Precision Bass, set in neck, etc) I would stay away from buying these. I approached the manufacturer of one of those basses and asked them to do a special build for me. They will do this at a $50.00 markup from their standard clones they make. What I got was quite impressive as far as the bass body "itself", that was all I cared about because I knew I was going to replace all the pickups, electronics, bridge, etc. As long as the basic build is good, you can mod one out for less than $600.00 and yes, that is including the bass itself. The bass will run you around $350.00 shipped to your door. It will look like the Transparent Blue Copy and the Mahogany with Black Binding Copy below. The Mods I did were, Standard Ric Bridge and Neck pickup, Standard Ric Wiring Harness, and Ric Pickguard. The Ric Style Bridges I added were from Allparts, so it will be a little more if you go that route, plus you have to cutout the cavity. The necks on these are Three Piece, Neck through Body. The necks are not as chunky as the real thing, almost between a Precision and Jazz Neck. The nut width is 1 11/16" The overall Scale and Dimensions length/width/depth are exactly as the Standard 4003. The Jack hole is routed for only Mono not stereo. The Fretboard is Rosewood. The ones I have shown are Maple Neck/Maple Body, Maple Neck/Mahogany Body and Swamp Ash Neck/Swamp Ash Body. There is only "One" Truss Rod. The Electronics, Pickups that come with these from the factory are ok, see transparent Blue Copy for what they look like without Mods. They are wired like a Les Paul. The bridge pickup sounds really good, its a fat pole single coil, the neck pickup is bland. If you want to use a Standard Ric Bridge you will have to rout out a cavity for it to fit. The MM style bass bridge that comes with it is 2 1/4" string spacing. The last image was the very first Custom Build Copy I had them make for me, It was Mahogany Body and Neck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Axstar likes this.
  2. lasalle69

lasalle69 "Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride"-H.S.T.

Nov 21, 2007
    Somerset, MA
    Hey:
    I ordered a ric clone kit from an Australian co. Pitbullguitars. Solid ash body, cream binding, set neck, pretty nice. I also am replacing pups and wiring. My question is, if you can answer it, is: How do I go about routing for a ric bridge? I really wanted to put in a Hipshot ric replacement bridge. Does that also need a cavity route? Just wonder if you or some folks here may know.
    Thanks.

3. The Hipshot Ric bridge has a flat bottom, so you will not need to do anything except make new screw holes to mount the bridge. The Standard Rickenbacker Bridge is recessed into the cavity because of the mute padding as well as the section where the saddles/ bridge mount to the tail piece.I used a dremel to rout out the cavity. I used to have a hipshot on mine as well, see picture

Attached Files:

4. lasalle69

Nov 21, 2007
    Somerset, MA
    Thank You Very Much. Truly Appreciated. The kit came with a MusicMan type bridge but I am liking the look of the Hipshot. Thanks again

5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The hipshot is a better bridge overall than the Allparts repro copy, a different look of course. The stock Ric bridge route is a two-step Route, with very little room for error, as the bridge just barely covers it. The Chinese copies I’ve played didn’t sound much like a Ric, and the cost can add up quick for better pups. If you have the coin and some basic Woodworking and electronics skills, it’s a fun upgrade project.

6. I really like the looks of the Hipshot Bridge. The last one I bought was the Brass version and boy o boy was that a heavy Mother. I would buy the Aluminum one, also the tone of the brass Hipshot seems a lot darker compared to the aluminum. At least that was my experience.

7. How did your Pitbull Copy project Turn out??

8. lasalle69

Nov 21, 2007
    Somerset, MA
    Still working on the final wiring. Hopefully I'll post pics soon. I gave it a walnut finish with black pinstripe. I'm no Luthier by any means, but it doesn't look too bad.

9. Sounds good, can't wait to see the pics

10. cholyoke

cholyoke Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Rubber City
    I'm looking forward to seeing it. I ordered the V-bass Pitbull sells for my summer project and was thinking about doing the Ric next. Do you know how much it weighs?

11. Any body checked out Top Guitars Custom Co.? They have a very cool Ric 4005 copy, probably the rarest of all Ric Basses

12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That very bass is being discussed/debated/agonized over on this other thread:
    Chinabacker 4005

Different vendor (Aliexpress), but probably made in the same factory, using the same CNC files. It's not a perfect copy, the upper horn is a little longer, but close enough. Since Ric has no plans to reintroduce this bass, apparently ever according to John Hall, seems like fair game to me. I'm sure some would disagree, which is hotly debated, per usual. I think that's the only Chinabacker I've seen that I'd seriously consider buying.

13. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    I looked at the pitbull ones, shipping from Australia to UK put me off a bit, otherwise i fancied one of those.
    I actually have one of the very cheap Rick copies (not a kit) that are available on ebay over here, and sorry, but its great !......despite the nay sayers, I love it and its crazy price, ( I've had real Rick's in the past and do know what they're like )

14. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The Chickenbackers do occasionally pop up on EBay, Hall used to have them taken down immediately, he must be slacking, I’ve seen the ads up for a few days at a time now. Whack-a-Mole I guess. @Pug the Pig , post some photos!

15. lasalle69

Nov 21, 2007
    Somerset, MA
    Here she is: solid ash Ric clone from pitbull guitars. Stock humbucker in neck and Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder in bridge. Hipshot
    Ric bridge and Regular Old Minwax Walnut with A Poly Clearcoat buffed Out. Sounds great and no, I never expect anyone to think it's real. IMG_0060.

Attached Files:

cholyoke and Zoobiedood like this.
  16. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    Virtually identical instruments to the pics above he's posted, they will be made by the same factory I'd say..(same p.up config ,different bridge)....though these are fully built already, in hard poly, black, natural or 'fireglo'..the headstock has been left with a big curve at the top, which I will sculpt to a Rick hook shape when i can be bothered!
    Possibly why the insanely jealous Mr Hall cant pull them?
    The one I have plays great after minimal tweaks.. IMG_20180329_213930. IMG_20180329_214028. IMG_20180329_214048.
    Sorry about crappy blurred pics, photography not my thing I'm afraid..

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    cardinalcorr likes this.
  17. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Check out the "RickenFakers" group on FB.

18. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Is that a set neck made to look like a neck through?

cardinalcorr likes this.
  19. lasalle69

Nov 21, 2007
    Somerset, MA
    It's a set neck. Didn't mean to make it look neck through. Perhaps Pitbull designed it that way The pinstripes are vinyl pinstripe tape from Amazon. I don't have the painting ability.