1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker binding

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ricfunk74, Jan 20, 2017.

1. ricfunk74

ricfunk74

Oct 8, 2016
    I posted a while back about the binding rot on my '72 Rickenbacker 4001. I was able to purchase replacement binding from Winfield Vintage. Today, I received a $500 quote to replace the binding and that does not include the finish work! I have $100 into the binding itself already. Does this seem excessive? I've never had binding redone and I wasn't prepared to hear this.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Sounds like a 'Go Away' price to me. Meaning they'll do it, but don't really want to, and are trying to make you not want to too.

ricfunk74 likes this.
  3. ricfunk74

ricfunk74

Oct 8, 2016
    That was my thought too.

4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I'm a complete amateur ,and managed to pull it off, so replacing the binding itself isnt that difficult. If the body has to be repainted and the binding scraped, that is a good bit of extra work, though $500 seems high Minus refinish. Id shop around a little, but don't expect this to be cheap. I have great admiration for people who do this kind of restoration for what works out to minimum wage or less. You had the same sticker shock I did on the Winfield binding, but with only two known sources for the correct material, they can charge what the market will bear. I'd post on Ricresource, some incredibly good Ric restoration luthiers and refinishers on tap over there. Good luck with it, hope you bring that old bird back to its Glory Days.

NealBass likes this.
  5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Gilmourisgod likes this.
  6. ricfunk74

ricfunk74

Oct 8, 2016
    I emailed Larry Davis. The bass is not with me now, so I can't send pictures. I'll see what he says!

Jeff Scott and Gilmourisgod like this.