Rickenbacker Shadow & 3001 Fretless pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sozo, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City

Don't know what it means, but just wanted to say I love stuff like that! So peculiar and cool! I dunno why but it just fascinates me.

Like that guy here on TB that found this mini voodoo doll type thing in his Fender P-bass when he removed the pickguard! I can't remember the exact thread, but it was something along those lines. So awesome :D

2. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    It was the Sting signature 51' P bass or something like that.

3. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.

4. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    love the color and subtle burst finish on those 2 3001's! also,that's a VERY interesting daion bass ya got there,aleighn....i've never seen one like that before.

5. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks! (to all who replied) and my apologies for not responding sooner... been a long few days... ugh! Insurance companies and banks SUCK!!!!

The Daion Savage bass is awesome... for those that aren’t familiar, the Daion line of Savage basses is an oft-overlooked Japanese brand from the 80’s — it (unfortunately) got lumped in with the lesser quality Japanese basses from that era and never got a fair shake (imo).

It’s 35” scale is the key to it’s AMAZING sustain and the EQ/tone adjustment can give you incredible funk tones that are like nothing else I have heard. And, btw, it (and the fretless Ric 3001) are actually for sale (I’ve been trying to research pricing and am going to be posting an ad here in the next day or two)... BUT if you happen to be interested and want to save me the time, then shoot me a PM!!

I really hate to sell either, but my car was totaled last week (I got rear-ended by a Mack truck while sitting at a red light) and since I just bought the car less than 5 months ago, the amount they are giving me for the car is less than what I owe.... which means I have to pay off ALL of the remaining amount before the bank will give me another car loan. All because I was sitting at a red light. And yes, I’ve asked about GAP insurance, but I don’t have it... and no, the bank won’t do a substitution of collateral on the loan. Been trying everything I know to NOT have to sell these basses... but my time’s up and I HAVE to have a car to get to work. Like I said... insurance companies and banks SUCK!!! :(

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Shouldn't the driver of the truck who hit you be paying for your car? That makes no sense at all, that you pay for someone else's stupidity. I'd be furious. And, don't sell that bass, get a lawyer instead. Good luck, hope it works out.

7. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They are paying for my car... but they aren’t paying as much as my loan is for... To make it simple... I owe $18k, they’re giving me $14k... so I have to come up with $4k before I can get a new loan from this bank... I could get a loan somewhere else, but I will still owe the bank $4k and they’ll convert it to an “unsecured” loan at 3x the interest rate if I don’t pay it off now. I can’t afford yet ANOTHER monthly bill, so I have to raise cash to cover the $4k. They sell “GAP” insurance when you finance a car, which will cover the difference... but I did not purchase it. So they consider it “my responsibility”... I will definitely be making up the monies AFTER the fact, when I go after them for the final settlement, but I cannot do that until I am 100% healthy.

It also complicates things because the driver was at work (he’s a union driver, the truck is owned by his employer... so the insurance works differently than a privately owned passenger vehicle... I had to BEG them to pay for the rental direct (vs. including it in the “final settlement”)... Yeah, I’ve talked to a lawyer, he can’t help me much for the property loss, but is helping me to determine a settlement amount... just takes time, which when it comes to daily transportation, isn’t an option...

It’s just the way it is.... Like I said, insurance and banks stink.

8. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Sweet basses!
    Oh, I love me some 3001's!

And I never pass up an opportunity to show mine:

DSC01474.jpg
    3001back2.jpg

9. Wow, 3001 looks amazing, very clean and simple.

10. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hey, did anyone have a clue about the whole note on the piece of tape affixed to the back of my fretless 3001’s truss rod cover?

When I did a google search for “Joel Helin Rickenbacker", it seems to be a Ric employee or manager or something either currently or as recent as 2001? See here

My curiousity is whether #1 means its the first bass he built... OR... the first of a series commissioned by a particular musician (i.e. the phrase that appears to read “musician work”)?? Certainly couldn’t be that it was the first fretless... as it’s supposed to be from May 1977... QE-2143.. anyone have a clue or want to play detective for me??? :eyebrow:

11. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
  12. Anyone rubbing it in deserves the negative karma they'll incur by doing so. In this economy, it's the best they can get.

Sorry to hear about your job and your car.

Be sure to tack on an additional $8k for mental anguish damage due to having to sell the 3001. :(

13. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Lol, I was just talking to my boyfriend about that... since I have to suffer without a car AND without my baby I was thinking closer to $15k :)

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021