Rickenbacker Shadow & 3001 Fretless pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sozo, Jan 23, 2009.

1. sozo

sozo

Jan 23, 2009
    Here are pictures of 2 of my Rickenbackers.

Shadow-
    shadow-body-2.jpg

shadow-body.jpg

3001 Fretless-
    3001-ft-bdy.jpg

3001-ft.jpg

2. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    2 very nice rick I never seen before!

3. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    Oh man, the Shadow is very cool, with that checkerboard binding and whatnot - actually both of them are going to my screensaver bass pics hehe :)

4. sozo

sozo

Jan 23, 2009
    Wow, I feel honored!! Another sort of odd bass I have is a Kramer XL8 and what make it so cool is that it is so mint, there is not even one tiny chip on the body, it looks brand new!

xl8.jpg

5. jakeox

jakeox

Feb 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I love the Shadow. Mine has a couple of issues, but I'm working on them. I've never seen a fretless 3001; that looks very cool.

6. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    nice bass's! I love the Shadow as well, very nice bass! The fretless looks cool too, how does that one sound?

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sweet (and unusual) collection!

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

Not a huge fan of the 3001 body shape but it is a keeper based on rarity if not anything else. The Sadows looks great and does the Kramer.

9. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Albany NY
  10. sozo

sozo

Jan 23, 2009
    I keep hearing that nobody has ever seen a fretless 3001. I wrote Rickenbacker but have yet to get a reply and I doubt I will. I have been searching everywhere for some info about them but I just can not seem to find any info.

I've had a few nice offers to sell it but I want to make sure of it's value before I do so. Also the fact that it's almost mint, the only thing wrong w/ it is a chip in the paint on the back that was there when I purchased it many, many years ago. It even has the original strings on it, it's basically still brand new since I've never really played it, it has less than an hours use.. I know, it's sad but I was just never into a fretless.

People are also surprised that such rare basses belong to a female, lol!! I don't know why but they find it interesting.

Anyway, I have registered all three of my Rickenbackers at the Rick Resource as you requested (I also have a 1972 Mapleglo 4001). Thanks for the tip.

11. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    It's worth a ton of money. I won't say a price but it's very rare.

12. daveman50

Feb 24, 2007
    Albany NY
    Why does your tb profile identify you as male? (is it impolite to ask?)

Anyhoo - it's a shame to have a bass that you NEVER play - and that is a really rare one. The normal model 3001 bass is sort of an oddity (I have one), even with the frets, so I guess you have a rare oddity.

13. sozo

sozo

Jan 23, 2009

LOL, male must be the default, I changed it.

Yes, it is a shame ot have a bass you don't play. It's why I am thinking about selling it. It's like a piece of art and I love to look at it, it has such a nice rich amber brown and I love the neck wood but It's a bass and should be played not just looked at.

14. daveman50

Feb 24, 2007
    Albany NY
    sozo, thanks for posting these to the Rickenbacker Register! Sorry to be a nag, but can you also post pics there? and, your 3001 is almost certainly walnut, not autumnglo. thx!! daveman

15. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    The shadow is so very cool! Now if they only did the inlays on that neck.....

And yup, screensaver material fo sho!
    :bassist::bassist:

16. sozo

sozo

Jan 23, 2009

Thanks for the correction on the color, I'll see if I can edit my entry. I'll post the pictures soon, first I need to figure out how ;), maybe I'll alsotry to get some better shots, maybe out in the sunlight. Also, your not a nag, I love bass stuff :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The edit at the Rick Register is complete, I just hope I did it correct. Here is an addition image I added, in this you can see the small chip on the lower back, it's only flaw, other than than it's still really shiny and new looking.

3001-bk-body.jpg

17. sozo

sozo

Jan 23, 2009
    Funny you say that, I've always wondered what it would look like w/ big black inlays!

18. aleighn

aleighn

Mar 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hey! I have a fretless Ric 3001 too ! Actually, I’ve been thinking about selling her... if not here, then could you PM me an idea of what it might be worth? Here’s a photo... or go here to see the flickr set with others...

3714131995_cfb4693cf9.jpg

OH! also... I was setting her up awhile back and noticed this sticker on the back of the truss rod cover... see attached image... any idea what it means?

thx!

Leigh

Attached Files:

19. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Love the Shadow.....looks to be in great shape!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021