Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greenantgods, May 4, 2005.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Good enough that I'm more or less continually on the verge of getting one.

The stereo outputs, the totally rockin' sound... I might end up having to spring for one here in the future. I'm in need of a B string, usually, and I'd totally be up for stringing one of my axes BEAD if nessicary (don't use the G string that much in metal); but, but, I'd rather just have a 5 string Rick out the door.

They've got the new 5ers out, but I've yet to hear anything about the quality of them, and if they've improved on the old 5s (which were by all acounts rather dreary).

I'd settle for a regular ol' Jetglo or Mapleglo in a minute, though.
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    very well made bass with a very distinct sound. I do not prefer them for what i do. Everyone has their own tone so just AB it against a bunch of other bassists. Def not a well rounded bass in my opinion. What it does it does very well. It does have dual truss rods and the craftsmanship is impecable. As always try before you buy.
  3. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Rics are all I have and they do everything I need them to very well......I don't buy the "one trick pony" angle. The only legitimate gripe might be trouble slapping (some people can and some can't on a Ric).....other than that it is no more limited than any other passive bass. The fit and finish are top notch and the few dealings I have had with their customer service have gone better than expected.

BTW....one of my 4003's is strung BEAD and I couldn't be happier with it. I had a 4003s5 and found the string spacing way too tight so I had to find another solution. Plus it gives me a legitimate reason to have another Ric :bassist:
  4. I used a Ric in the studio and it was a very well rounded instrument. Just the 5 track ep we did covered a wide range of sounds that I never thought I would hear myself play. It was a great experience, and although it did feel a bit goofy in my arms at first, as soon as I heard the playback I knew we shared an unspoken bond. The bass tone covered a wide range of sounds including a distorted funk, full yet punchy alt rock/post hardcore stuff, and a more vintage twangy sound that reminded me of Op Ivy. All out of that same Ric. I think they're stupendous and would absolutely love to get one. If only I wasn't Gasing for a new head and 2 more cabs.
  5. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I've been playing Rics for a little over 30 years now. It is the one staple that I won't do without. Period. Granted, I also use a variety of other basses as well, i.e., American Deluxe, etc etc...but I would feel rather "nekkid" without the 'ol Ricky...

Is it that good? To me, yes.

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

IMO, one of the all time best bass sounds is Geddy Lee's live sound on Exit Stage Left. If you can find a copy of this album, you'll hear what I call the "hide the children" bass growl that I haven't found from any other bass. Rics have a distinctive sound, but it's not only one sound. You can play reggae and funk as well as rock with a Ric.

The stereo output does give you tremendous tonal flexibility if you have a stereo rig or two rigs, because you can EQ each pickup separately.

I love mine, but their looks and sound aren't for everyone. As far as neck feel, playability, build quality, etc., they're at least on par with any of your major mid-level basses (Stingray, Fender American Jazz, etc.).
  7. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I personally don't like that type of sound whenever I play one, but I've heard (both live and on recordings) very good Ric sounds. I guess it's more of an EQ/effects kinda thing. In Geddy's case, no doubt.

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Geddy's tone sounds pretty much like a Rick to me, when he plays one (eg, "Red Barchetta"). If you like 'em, they're very, very good basses. Quality of build wise they are as good as anything else I have ever played. It's really down to whether you like "that" sound, and the look and feel. I love 'em.
  9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    And..... Randall, those are two very cool looking basses you have there. I love the blue Rick and the quilted top on the J is just gorgeous.
  10. Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I have had tons of Ricks and actually have one for sale right now. I would not be caught without a Rick. It has happened on occasion and I make sure that I have one at all tiems now. I have a good keeper though!! Honors to all of my British Brothers and Sisters!

Attached Files:

11. Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    And no, the one in the picture is NOT the one that is for sale...
  12. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    That bass is amazing.
  13. I have never played one but i know they have a good reputation!

I still think they are ugly tho (Some of you may remember my "rickenbacker - beauty or beast" thread :bag:
  14. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Rickenbackers... yes they is good. :)

Regarding the 5-strings though: the old 4003S/5's were indeed wacky (I didn't like the tight string spacing, though some players like it), and though the new 4004 5-strings are an improvement in that area, they've just been pulled off production, according to John Hall, because he wants to make some changes to the design. So those of you waiting to get your hands on a new Rick 5-string may be waiting a while.
  15. Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    the headstock matches also
  16. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I decided I wanted to be an electric bass player the day I heard a radio broadcast of the world premier of "Permament Waves" co-hosted by Geddy Lee.

I'd bought an el cheapo starter basss but I new someday I would have a Rickenbacker like Geddy.

When I was in position to buy one, I was very disappointed as I didn't like it.

This is not to disparge Ric's or their users. It is to tell you not to buy a bass becuase it looks cool or becuase your favorite bass player uses one. Buy a bass becuase you like how it sounds and feels in your hands.
  17. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Arrgh. I want a Ric again......sheesh.
  18. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I really like my 4001, and want to try a 4004. If the 4004 doesn't fit me, I would give serious thought to picking up a used 4003 and stringing it BEAD.