1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rig Hookup Help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by minginitis, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Hey guys, I decided to build a split pre/power rig and I clearly have no idea what I’m doing. Where do I connect the preamp into the power amp? And where do I connect the power amp to the cab? I’m also only using a single 410 cab. Mono or Stero (keeping Channel B on 0)? Photos attached. Thanks!

Attached Files:

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  2. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys.

Mar 11, 2012
    St. Paul, MN
    "Full Range" out of preamp into "A" input of amp. Speaker "A" out of amp into your speaker cabinet. Mono. And have the power cord on the preamp fixed. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  3. tkonbass

Mar 11, 2012
    St. Paul, MN
    minginitis likes this.
  4. ^what he said, but I doubt if it matters if Stereo or Mono is selected as you only get to use one channel A anyway.

So long as the channel input and output were the same you could use B and B and select Stereo.

Other option, find a little 110 or 112 cab to use on HF and biamp your 410 as the low. Then you would send high out of preamp to one channel and low to the other in Stereo mode.

minginitis and tkonbass like this.
  5. tkonbass

Mar 11, 2012
    St. Paul, MN

All true, was just keeping it straight-forward to get him going safely.

Downunderwonder and minginitis like this.
  6. Thanks I got sound! Anyone know what the balanced and unbalanced outputs would be used for on the poweramp?

7. tkonbass

Mar 11, 2012
    St. Paul, MN
    DI outs to a mixer or recording interface.

minginitis likes this.
  8. So both the pre and the poweramp have DIs. Is there a benefit to using one over the other?

9. Extra options to send both local and distant at line level.

minginitis likes this.
  10. The amp DI will only ever be as quiet as the one off the preamp but frequently just a little more noisy.

minginitis likes this.
  11. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    The power amp outputs aren't necessarily DIs, as much as for other power amps, but could probably function fine as such.

12. tkonbass

Mar 11, 2012
    St. Paul, MN
    Yes, this makes more sense.

minginitis likes this.
  13. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    ...and make sure you use a 'speaker' cable to go from the amp to the speaker!

minginitis likes this.
  14. JaseyT

JaseyT Guest

Jun 18, 2009
    I'm curious, what model is your preamp?

15. Peavey Max Bass Preamp

JaseyT and Coolhandjjl like this.
  16. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I recognized it right away. One of the best tube pre's ever made! And a terrific bang for the buck!

I used the full range output. The first picture is correct. The 1/4" to 1/4" is an unbalanced two conductor TS (tip/sleeve) connection. Fine for a short run like this.

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 8.32.35 AM.png

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    minginitis and HolmeBass like this.
  17. JaseyT

JaseyT Guest

Jun 18, 2009
    Oh, cool! I had one briefly, but not long enough to bond with it and recognise the back panel. That preamp has the potential to be used as a High Pass Filter (HPF) later on, if you ever feel like looking up the benefits of those and using your rig that way.

minginitis likes this.
  18. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    I note the rear of the power amp shows 250 watts at 4 ohms impedance. The 4x10 is 8 ohms. It will work, however, your power from the amp will be reduced to about 50% to 70% of 250 watts (125 to 175 watts).

minginitis likes this.
  19. 250watts @ 4ohms stereo, 380watts @ 4ohms mono. Yeah at 350watts 8ohms RMS the cab is a little underpowered. Luckily this is a practice cab and I don’t currently need the volume. I’ll probably end up matching another 8ohm speaker in parallel to get some wattage back.

mark roberts likes this.
  20. Jehos

Jehos

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    This. You don't record off your power amp, you typically run it to the next one and the next one and the next one to power the whole line array / speaker stack / collection of stage monitors / whatever.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021