1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Right hand gettin cold!?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jowa, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Jowa

Jowa

Feb 13, 2008
    About a month ago I noticed how my right hand was gettin cold after practicing a while. Especially when for example playing with three fingers my pinky would get extremely cold while the others would be warm, and after a while it spread to all the fingers. Now it has gotten worse and my right hand is even gettin cold every now and then when I'm not playin.
    This makes it kind of harder to play and it's really frustrating.
    And it's only to right hand. I've been thinking about changing the angle for my wrist to let more blood in.
    Anyone else experienced the same and have any another tips?

2. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Lemme guess; you wear your bass in the "fusion geek" posture where the bass is somewhere just under your jawbone. :D

Lengthen your strap a few inches and straighten your right wrist. Not only can it impede bloodflow, it can lead to carpal tunnel. Your bass should hang with the neckplate (or the heel if you have a neck-through) somewhere between your belt buckle and your navel. You can stretch this to just under your sternum or down to your groin but make sure the right wrist stays pretty straight and that you keep good access to all strings with all fingers right down to the bridge. Then angle the neck upwards so you don't have to reach underneath it to fret notes (creating the same problem with the left hand). That's your basic posture. It may not look "punk" but it'll save you some joint pain while allowing good access to the entire instrument.

3. tyggis

tyggis

Mar 11, 2008
    Do you have a lot of tension in your hand? Or do you not relax when not attacking notes? Try to shift between tension and relaxing to understand how that feels. Now do that when you are playing too.

4. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    And keep the monkey spanking to a minimum...

5. Tobbo

Tobbo

Feb 20, 2008
    Rauma, Finland
    Ever since I can remember I've had a bad outter blood circulation... my fingers and hands are always freezeing so to speak, but I don't have any difficulties to do stuff still

6. Money spanking is good for your wrists and your prostrate. didnt your Doc tell ya so?