1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Right hand plugging noise amplified badly loud

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by playbass0410, Aug 14, 2012.

1. playbass0410

playbass0410

Feb 8, 2008
    I have to replace my old pickup (piezo in the bridge wings) with a new one and now are faced with the phenomenum that especially at the A string the plugging with my fingers is amplified as loud PLOP sound by the amp.

Different amps, different piezo pickups (single side wing, double side wing) - the result is the same :confused:

My old one did not amplify the plugging PLOP this loud but unfortunately has some loose contact and thus has to retire but is not any longer available.

Has anyone experienced a disgusting loud plop sound from the right hand fingers too? And ... is there a solution besides EQuing the sound to death or using a feedback friendly microphone?

Great for playing dead notes but it is the dead to everything else ...:atoz:

2. Adagio

Adagio

Jul 21, 2011
    Quebec City
    What's your piezo exactly? I've tried several PU and I have noticed as a general rule that the closer to the string the PU is, the more it is prone to that string/finger noise (and bridge wing is one of the closest position). Usually nothing that can't be attenuated with EQing though, but you definitely get a different vibe. But what you're describing sounds more like an incorrect installation, are you sure it's properly fitted? Or perhaps an impedance mismatch, are you using a preamp? More details or pics could help.

As for alternatives, you can get a pretty decent sound out of many piezo on the market. I can recommend the Full Circle, Realist and Erhlund amongst my top choices but there's also the big twin that seems to get much love and that is more affordable. There are many options for reliable and good quality piezo out there... But I'm pretty sure you can solve the "plop" issue without changing your PU...

3. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    If the only thing wrong with your old pickup was some losse contacts, why not repair it? A quick hit with a soldering iron should do the trick.

4. playbass0410

playbass0410

Feb 8, 2008
    well, thanks for the commenst-
    @RSBBass - its the contact directly at the piezo element and its shrinkwrapped and sealed.

@Adagio I give the Shadow SH 965 NFX a try - its not that close to the string and I suppose that it will not this sensitive to plug sound (but well, it can win a price in uglyness....)

5. Adagio

Adagio

Jul 21, 2011
    Quebec City
    Yeah the shadow is the one with one piezo under each foot of the bridge and a preamp hanging over the tailpiece, sorry never tried it! The only advice I can give you as for its installation is to make sure the bridge is really perpendicular with the top of the bass, so there as much pressure as possible on the entire surface of the piezo. Otherwise I'm pretty much clueless, but I still believe you should be able to get a decent sound with this PU and a good preamp. Perhaps somebody experienced with this particular model could be more helpful, I guess you would get lotta more answers if you would post in the "amps mics & pickups"... Good luck!

6. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    This "plop" sound - is it like a loud THOK!, like someone hitting a log with a rubber mallet? I've gotten that particular tone with certain string/bass/pickup combinations. Anything else in your setup changed recently? Did you have to loosen your strings for some reason, and could the soundpost have moved? Are you using a preamp with whatever you have now?

7. playbass0410

playbass0410

Feb 8, 2008
    Well ... lot changed ... fingerboard, bridge, nut ... so its not that easy. But - the old pickup just did not be that sensitive.

I do not use a preamp - in the past I did use a fishman platinum but once on a jazz rehearshal a violinist dropped by so I lent him my fishman so he could play with us. I rummaged for my BOSS GT-10B MFX that retired in a dark and dusty corner that I had formerly used for EB. It was a surprise - a vivid full bodied sound that sentenced the fishman to be sent to ebay.

8. threetone

threetone

Sep 27, 2011
    Europe
    I have a question. OP is the plug, plop, thok sound also noticable acousticly without amplification and on every string?
    I experience a thok sound only on my A string acoustic ( although silent) ald amplified ( louder ) and I think it is a right hand technique issue.
    Does anyone have any insights here ?

9. playbass0410

playbass0410

Feb 8, 2008
    Of course it is noticable acousticly without amp - but amplified it gets upfront on A string while without amp the strung tone is more prominent (G,D, E, do not have the problem with me too)

And yes - it is related to technique - using the full flesh of the plugging finger an stay somewhat away from the fingerboard end yields a warm tone without that thok sound.
    Playing horizontal with two finger sytsem more on the finger tips for max speed and this near fingerboard end for pronouncing attack articulate the THOK badly.

So yes of course the THOK reacts to technique used..... but .... I haven't had this problem before regardless which of right finger techniques I was using. So the THOK is not a destiny..

10. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Not to beat a dead horse but shrink wrap should be easy to cut off on the old piezo. Use a heat sink to keep the piezo from melting and re-attach the lead. What do you have to loose by trying?