Ringing ears after gigging...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gareth, Sep 21, 2003.

1. gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    i've just joined a new covers band and they play louder than my last band

after gigs my ears are ringing for upto three days

i've tried ear plugs but then i can't really hear what i'm playing which has its own problems

any ideas

to help, only the drums and vocals go thru the p.a.
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Either get used to wearing ear plugs, or get used to hearing nothing at all.

Every time your ears ring, you have done permanent, cumulative damage to your ears. It might feel like you're hearing at 100% again, but you are causing yourself to go deaf slowly.

Do some research and invest in ER20s, at the least, or they're too much cut, try the custom made ear plugs. Sure, they're expensive. But considering you've only got two ears, they sound like a bargain to me.
  3. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Turn the Volume Down! If you are playing that loud and your ears are ringing for 3 days after the fact...you'll be deaf in 6 months!

Also try getting a set of Sonic II earplugs.
  4. I've just received my set of ER20s from Mike Dimin and so far i'm very impressed. Previously i'd been using industrial foam ear plugs but the ER20s allow you to hear a much more natural sound (only quieter).
    I was also really impressed with Mike's shipping time- they arrived here within a week!

So, at $12 i'd thoroughly recommend them.
  5. would you rather: not hear yourself as well whilst rehersing, or not hear at all, later in life?

6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Definitely get earplugs. It's also worth thinking about where you stand on the stage - for example, if your ear is next to the drummer's china cymbal, that's a BAD thing as far as prospects of prolonging your hearing go!

I'm amazed by how loud people want to play - and also that other people seem quite happy to pay to go and get their hearing blasted... I take earplugs even when I'm in the audience, but it seems a shame to have to do so...

7. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    When I used to play shows in my last band, they played far too loud, and we always played in people's basements or really small bars. I had the honor of standing directly next to the drummer. Lets just say I'm glad I quit because of musical reasons, but also because they have no idea what volume or nuance is. I know I can't hear 100% as well, and when I start gigging with my new band I'll be wearing ear plugs... is there a good resource on the web on how to pick ones out?
  8. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I'd highly recommend the custom plugs. I paid $60 a piece for mine from the ear/nose/throat doctor, but I hear you can get them from hearing aide stores for around $100 bucks. They're worth every penny, considering you can't put a price on hearing. The replacable filters are very inexpensive and you can select between different DB levels. I chose the "musician" style and they are excellent!
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Either have the band focus on playing "for tone" or get earplugs.

You can play loud, and not do damage, but only to a point. That point is where tone turns to noise.

Try and get your band to "TURN THE HELL DOWN!"

If that doesn't work, use the earplugs, or find another gig that suits you.
  10. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    As everyone else said, use earplugs.

I used to have the same issue - not being able to hear the music properly - but then I got a better set.

I forget which brand mine are, but they were $10, and if you can't hear well enough, you can adjust their position in your ear until you get a level you're comfortable with.

A lot of bands may think it isn't "cool" to use plugs, but you'll be the one laughing last (in sign language) when they go deaf.
  11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I wear earplugs for all our rehearsals but not for performances, where our amps are not pointing at us directly.

If you want to enjoy music the rest of your life, invest in protecting your hearing now.
  12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Please get earplugs!!! Once your hearing is damaged it is so for life, you only get one chance. It might take you a while to get used to earplugs, but hang in there!

The ER series do attenuate relatively evenly across the frequency spectrum so it feels less unnatural than cheaper plugs. I got molded earplugs with interchangeable filters, less damping for lower volume rehearsals and gigs, higher for crazy gigs and motorcycle riding. :) Very expensive but well worth it.

Also do try to bring down the stage volume, you'll find the band plays better if you can actually hear some details. ;)
  13. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Try http://www.hearnet.com/index.shtml

Plenty of good info to be found there.