RIP Mech

Discussion in 'In Memoriam' started by BassikLee, Oct 7, 2020.

1. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Starke, FL
    Owner: JLA Custom In Ear Monitors
    Ronnie Goss, aka Mech, passed away last night. He will be missed.

MarkyDynaBass, TNCreature and Giffro like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Awwwww...... :crying:

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    @mech was the man when it came to Peavey. He will be missed.

Giffro likes this.
  4. That’s so sad. He will be missed.

Giffro likes this.
  5. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Ronnie even had time to talk to a far away Aussie in a private conversation back in April 2018..the guy was a most generous soul and a fount of knowledge when it came to anything Peavey..he was only a couple years older then me and his passing will leave a sad vacancy here on this forum.
    I doubt if he would mind me posting a couple of his pics he shared with me, so enjoy...

He spoke fondly of his dad and also gave me this pic...
    Quoted from Ronnie..."Been doing this almost 56 years. Music store tech and engineering background. My dad was a great inspiration musically, his love of reading and about how things work. Taught me how to wrench on cars at an early age and started showing me how to do setups/electronic repairs on guitars when my first needed the strings changed. I've blessed him almost every day for these things. Here's a pic of him and a double neck instrument he built in the early 1960s...guitar and mandolin. I still have it. He played both kinds of music...Country and Western!"
    1961-04-30 p137 ELG Guitar.JPG
    A couple of pics and quick story from Ronnie on a couple of his early bands...
    Quoted from Ronnie..."I've played in small bands and large....large are my favorite by far, so many players to add their own brand of energy. Two of the best..... The Crackerjacks 1969 and The House Rockers 2016 (real blues and R&B). Crackerjacks added a trombone shortly after the pic so we could do Chicago and the House Rockers always had a guest guitar or keys player so add one to each."
    Peavey T40 Sloth 4.JPG
    House Rockers-Iron Horse 1.jpg
    His beautiful Peavey Dyna 5
    MECH'S PEAVEY DYNA BASS 5.jpg
    THE MAN
    mech2.jpg

RIP RONNIE

6. gawd DAMMNIT. 2020 can gfy

7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Sorry to hear this. RIP Ronnie.

8. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Not good - bad, will be missed a lot.:eek:

9. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Well FAD. RIP Ronnie

10. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Sorry to hear . Rest peacefully Ronnie.

It's been a tough couple of years...

11. Sad RIP Ronnie

12. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Rest In Peace

13. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
  14. Blackjac97

Blackjac97 Supporting Member

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    When I first joined TB, he would post on my whacky newbie ideas and give encouragement, always saying it doesn't hurt to try things and experiment.

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    RIP to an entertaining and cool TB brother.

ajkula66 likes this.
  16. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Rest in peace, Ronnie. You were a nice guy.

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Dang. :(

He always seemed to be pretty helpful and upbeat.

18. Gorath X

Gorath X

Apr 11, 2021
    Hello people of TalkBass! I'm Ronnie Goss's stepson, and this is my first ever message here. (I'm a player, but more of a guitar guy, and I don't really post on any of the boards. I do lurk on a few; mainly the ones dedicated to twangier side of guitar nerdism.)

I wanted to thank everyone — belatedly — for the nice messages about Ronnie, and especially the pics from some of his storied music career. I own a lot of that memorabilia now — some pretty cool stuff — and I could scan some of it and post it here if anyone's interested. (I knew Ronnie for a very long time, and he never told me that his teenage band The Astrons had opened for the Animals in the mid-'60s in Laurel, MS, but they sure did.) Ronnie was very into hanging out here, and I know that the people of TalkBass meant a whole lot to him, especially after my mom passed away. He talked about it a good bit.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2021
    Giffro, Relayer71, woodyng2 and 5 others like this.
  19. Landsharks

Landsharks

Jul 24, 2009
    Oxford, MS
    Just seeing this. I met your stepfather in January 2018. I did some work in Meridian for a couple of weeks on and off for a couple of years. I met him at the Waffle House a few times and then we would go back to his house and talk bass and Peavey. He was a wealth of knowledge and helped me restore a couple of Peavey's. I sure could use his advice right now as I have a few more projects. I loved going to his house and drooling over his collection of basses, what a treasure! Sorry for your loss, Ronnie was a big loss for the Peavey community as well.

Giffro and kodiakblair like this.
  20. Dminor7

Dminor7

Jun 17, 2016
    RIP Ronnie. @Gorath X, your stepfather took the time to give me enough knowledge and confidence to try a tricky repair even though i had pretty much no idea what i was doing. Helpful and upbeat pretty much says it all. wish i'd had a chance to thank him in person

Skeezix likes this.