1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rob Trujillo crazy sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by metallibass95, Apr 9, 2009.

1. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    Check this video out.

That is an awsome sound for the bass solo he did, but what in the world effects did he use?? I know he uses Ampegs, Fernandez Gravity 5 bass, Dean Markley 4 string set with Ernie Ball B string (back then in 2006), and the effect he has sounds like a Sansamp Tech 21 Bass Driver DI but there seems to be more to that sound in the video than just that pedal. Maybe some preamp rack effects and some tone shaping along with it. I dunno, anybody out there have any ideas what he used?

2. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    Well, wah, or some kinda similar filter effect on bass has always been a staple of the Metallica sound, dating back to Cliff Burton. I'm presuming that's what's giving the bass that character....

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sounds to me like ordinary overdrive--any weird extra textures sound to me just like artifacts of the recording and data compression.

4. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    he could have been going though a distorted guitar amp.

5. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    I think it's a lot to do with his technique - sounds like he's got a lot of fret rattle.

Edit: I take that back. He has a ton of fret rattle - he's a fret clacker.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, his plucking is so aggressive that there's no way to avoid fret rattle, and it works for him.

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I do believe that robert is using a distortion pedal on that clip. according to wikipedia, he uses a tech 21 xxl for his distortion.

8. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009

That could be it too, i'm trying to find a good video of someone using an XXL but I think I found something really close to what Rob used in that video.

Watch this video now from 50 seconds to the end and I think that might be the effect he used.

9. b4nny

b4nny

Aug 24, 2008
    Bellevue, WA, USA
    I remember getting a similar kind of bottomless overdrive with my Sansamp by cranking the drive and adding in a little presence and / or treble. (oh and digging in)

10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.

11. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    well, i've tried tech VT for rob's sound and it doesn't do it. sounds different. got the XXL and boom, much closer.

12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    True...the tech 21 xxl would be much better choice to get that sound.

13. sounds kinda like an mxr m80

14. metdistortion

metdistortion

Aug 13, 2008
    England
    Nah, it sounds just like it does live

15. His bass has EMG pickups, so that's going to have a pretty big effect on the tone. Beyond that, it does sound like an XXLB to me, combined with maybe a clean blend, fresh strings and a LOT of fret noise.

16. cool, i always wondered what that sound was

17. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009

cool, thanks man.

18. Soloshchenko

Soloshchenko

Feb 2, 2009
    I never fail to be underwhelmed by that guy's bass playing in general. Personally I think that sounds horrible.

19. Ehh, I'm not a big fan either, but it's all about context. Metallica is one of those bands who would really be fine without a bassist at all, so Rob's playing and sound is more like a third guitarist than a bassist, per se.

20. metdistortion

metdistortion

Aug 13, 2008
    England
    :confused:

If Metallica didn't have a bassist it would sound awful. Just because you can't hear the bass very well doesn't mean that it doesnt need to be there.