Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Robelli ABG?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jondog, Jul 22, 2005.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got acoustic gigs coming up, and even though I'd rather play electric I think the entertainment manager wants the acoustic look, even though we'll all be plugged in. So . . .

- somebody is selling Hondo ABGs on ebay for $115 shipped. Cheap!!!
    - I played the SX and Agile at Rondo today and was not impressed w/ the sound of either.
    - At Sam Ash I played an Ibanez and several Robellis. I liked the sound of some of the Robellis.
    - I did a search and saw that Joe likes his Robelli
    - I'd like a 5 string
    - Once I'm in the 5 string Robelli price range ($250+), I can get a more reputable brand name off of ebay, but of course I can't play any ebay bass first.
    - My budget is "cheap," but only because I don't feel like I should have to cater to the entertainment director's acoustic look

What are your thoughts?

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Bump! Anybody have the Hondo? Do they make a 5? Anybody have the SX or Agile? Will they sound better w/ new strings? Will people laugh at me playing a Robelli live :) ? Would you buy an acoustic 5 off ebay or is it too big a risk?

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Robelli makes some nice ABG's. Unfortunately I got rid of mine becasue the neck twisted along with the axis of the truss rod so it was unplayable above the 7th fret. Mostly becuse that was the bass that was left in every possible position in every possible location in the house and outside.