Robert Plant

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chips, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Hello badgers,

I'm a huge LZ fan, and the other day while lookin through the freo cd library (anyone from WA will know where/what freo is) and i saw about 3 albums of Mr. Plants solo stuff! I never knew he released some solo stuff. I know JPJ did. Can anyone tell me what Mr Plants solo music is like? I don't wanna buy the album to listen to it and think its absolute **** and lose respect for man. Any info???? :help:

Chips :bassist:
  2. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I'm of the opinion that Robert Plant's solo career makes Led Zeppelin retroactively suck.

It's that bad.
  3. I liked his stuff with the honeydrippers. But I was never a big fan of his true solo stuff.
  4. There was only one album by Robert Plant I actually liked...Fate of Nations. Everything else was mostly 'bubblegum' or 'poppy' music.
  5. Havn't heard his solo stuff but I have to say . . .

6. 5 posts and no mention of the coverdale/page album......for shame..this is a must have GO BUY THIS ALBUM NOW...its the stuff that he wrote during the zeppelin days but got rejected and was recorded with Jimmy page, David Coverdale, Jorge Casas and Denny others on diff tracks...but buy now
  7. It wasnt mentioned because its not Plant. Its a good album though.
  8. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    i thought Now and Zen(?) was pretty good. that's the one with Tall cool one, right? maybe i was just young and impressionable, but i dug it.
  9. well i dont know about albums, but Big Log is an awesome Indo-Celtic rock song.
  10. BassGuy

Jun 30, 2000
    Plant's lastest album, Dreamland, is good, but it is nothing like LZ. It is guitar-driven; has a good, inventive guitarist. The title is apropo; the whole CD is pretty dreamy and quirky. I got it mostly because I was curious about the version of Dylan's One More Cup of Coffee. I don't quite like the version, but it is OK. Anyway, if you like Plant as a singer, then I think it is worth getting. Look at Amazon for a better description.

11. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    "66 to Timbuktu" or whatever it's called isn't too bad... CD #1 has all his best solo songs and I don't even know what's on CD #2.

Just stick to Led Zeppelin. ;)
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Great tune!! very cool album if memory serves. I need to track it down.
  13. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Robert's solo material spans the better part of two decades, so there's a LOT of material there (ranging from the synth-pop of the early-to-mid '80s right up to Robert's return to his roots with Dreamland. I really enjoyed "Dreamland" and recommend it. Also, for what it's worth, I consider "Fate of Nations" to be one of my 'desert island' CDs. I don't listen to it on a regular basis anymore, but everyonce in a while I'll pop it in the CD player and never cease to be amazed at how great of an album it is! :D However....if you're not familiar with Plant's solo career, I'd pick up a copy of "66 to Timbuktu", as it was really designed to serve as an introdutory release for people just like you. You'll get most of the early hits from the '80s and a sampling of the new stuff. Once you have a chance to sample the wares, you might want to go out and pick up some of the albums themselves. ;)