1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rock Christmas song suggestions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RichardW, Nov 20, 2018.

1. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    My band has a gig coming up on 12/20 and we'll do a couple of Christmas tunes, probably Run Run Rudolph and Jingle Bell Rock. I was just curious what other Christmas or holiday-related rock songs folks like or have performed.

2. MrCrane

MrCrane

Mar 5, 2013
    Croydon, UK
    iagtrplyr and JimK like this.
  3. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Here's a few...

JRA and WI Short Scaler like this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I liken Springsteen's Santa Claus to Mustang Sally. "Musicians" may be sick of hearing/playing it, but it's easy to put together, and guaranteed to get the crowd going.

5. Father Christmas - The Kinks
    Fishheadjoe

6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The important thing with Christmas season shows (IMO) is to a avoid overtly political or cynical songs about it. Most people want a little break from the news and the posturing, so it’s best keep to it fun and on the lighter side. Or so I think based on my own years of observation.

White Christmas always goes over well. Especially since it can be made to work in so many different genres ranging from Big Band to Blues to Ska. You can even start it traditional and segue into rock or whatever as it goes on. Very versatile song.

This is one of this year’s versions:

7. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
  8. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009

saabfender and leadfingers like this.
  9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Cheech and Chong's punk version of Rudolph. I love that one.

hufe likes this.
  10. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

You can also dig through this old chestnut to find something...

If you want to go there...

saabfender likes this.
  11. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Big E sounds like he's gotten a little too deep into the eggnog, but great guitar by James Burton..

Got a female vocalist?

There are Gwen Stefani, Ariana Grande, and Taylor Swift versions, but I ain't going there...

Then, of course...

12. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009

13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    We jumped up this one a few years ago for a christmas party and it went over real well. It’s one not many folks have heard and if you turn it into a mid tempo kinda jangly rhythm guitar and a really clean atmospheric lead with a touch of reverb over bass and drums playing it straight, it turns into a decent little ditty.

wilberthenry and kentiki like this.
  14. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    We are doing "Merry Christmas Baby" Melissa Etheridge version. I'd rather do "Fairytale in New York" from The Pogues but we are just a schlocky cover band after all.

4 Strings Good likes this.
  15. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I discovered this a few years ago. It's one of the coolest things I've ever heard, Christmas or otherwise. Pretty much all of Gary Hoey's Christmas music is worth a listen.

Kmonk likes this.
  16. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago

Here's one I didn't expect at first, but it's enjoyable to listen to around the Holidays. That said, I typically really enjoy Christmas music, even when it starts very early in the season.

CatchaCuda likes this.
  17. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I love the idea of a band with the personality and attitude to pull this off.

Also think this could be great:

BBQV and Aqualung60 like this.
  18. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009

19. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    One that I've played in a couple of bands is "Trim Your Tree" by Jimmy Butler.
    A tad obscure but a great R&B stomper.Think it's the only tune this guy cut.Came out in 1954 on the obscure GEM record label. One of my prized possessions is a 10 inch 78 RPM record of this. You can find it on Youtube or on the Savoy Christmas compilation called "Santa's Secret". I think Mojo Nixon covered it but his version wasn't very good.
    It used to go over great!

cdef likes this.
  20. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009