RockBass (by Warwick)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tames, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    In my seemingly hopeless plan to own a Warwick Streamer Stage II (anyone have one they'd like to sell me???) I've come to a basic dead end. The RockBass (by Warwick) Streamer. Coming in a beautiful red :meh: or black, it sports the same scale and body shape of the Warwick Streamer Stage II. Also with (I believe) MEC passive pickups. All for basically $400. You get the Warwick name, and basically their Squier. Usually the "budget" company put out by a bigger company really REALLY turns me off. Especially after having played Squiers just to see how they feel compared to my Fender Jazz bass. EW. I'm just wondering if anyone has any input on these. I'm looking at the 5 string. Sadly the actual Warwick Streamer Stage II 5 string is near $4000. Why when I can just have two moderate basses? Does anyone know how this RockBass Streamer 5 compares to a standard Jazz bass? Are these even good basses, or is it just glorified $400 crap with a Warwick logo? I really would enjoy one of these (I think... considering budget.) but if they're no better than any other $400 5 string, I'll place my interests elsewhere. Any feedback or input or anything would be extremely helpful.
  2. I purchased a Rockbass Streamer for my 2nd bass after owning a Squier Precision for a long while, and i must say.. very, very big improvement. For the price it is a very impressive bass, very well constructed, not overly heavy, and the tone is very versatile for an entirely passive bass. Compared to a standard jazz, I would have to say that you can get lots more snappy high end out of the streamer, and lows are a little boomier due to the humbuckers. B string is a little floppy, but im sure heavier gauge strings could fix that. The only thing I don't like about this bass is the strat-style jack. But if that doesn't bother you I suggest you check it out ;)
  3. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    I've heard mixed reviews about the Warwick RockBasses. Some say they're great, while many others have had stories about their RockBasses falling apart on them.

For more consistent quality, I'd go with Spector's Performer line or basses by other manufacturers such as Peavey or Godin.

I don't want to discourage you from the RockBass or anything. If you find one that's awesome and you love it, great. I'm just saying proceed cautiously since buying a bass is an investment and you want to spend your hard-earned money wisely. I know not everyone can afford a real German-made Warwick. I sure as day can't. But I certainly wouldn't want a poor kid to fall in love with a bass, save up like crazo to buy it, buy it, and then have it fall apart on him or her. And I've heard too many TBers talk about their RockBasses falling apart for me to ignore.

There are many great basses in the $500 price range. Shop around. Try other stuff out. You may serendipitously find something awesome. Like I said before, Peavey basses are great. The Fury and Grind lines are sweet. The only thing holding Peavey back as far as I can see is that the Peavey name just isn't as "cool" as Warwick or Spector. The G&L Tribute line is supposed to be very good as well.
  4. I have a rockbass streamer, I used it in my band's performance at my party last night, and it cut through better than either of the spectors. It has a very deep growly sound, and it also looks the dog's bollocks. I love mine and I'm keeping it, as Ive seen its real worth in my band.....I SAY BUY ONE!
  5. EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    Is there a cheaper alternate version of the Warwick Corvette, that kinda looks like it, and maybe sounds like it? (excluding the Rockbass)

I really love the feel, sound and looks of a Warwick Corvette :cool:

The only thing I found was the OLP Spector that looks like the ROckbass?
  6. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I tried a few of the Rock Basses yesterday. I thought they all felt like good solid guitars for the money. They all had the MEC pickups and active electronics with good range of tone, and the B's were fine. A lot better than on my EDB605 anyway. I really liked the finish on the neck. Felt like bare smooth wood but I'm sure it has some type of finish on it.

I left the shop feeling like I could afford better though, and probably would be a lot happier with the Spector I tried for the same price, which was about $550.00 or $600.00.
    I think if the Squiers made you say EW and you lust for a Streamer, these won't excite you.
  7. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004

basically a log wit strings

save up and buy a standard vette
  8. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Well if you want to compare the Rockbass thing with the real Warwick shizzl, you won't be satisfied at all. I pm'd ya for showing that I do have one for sale of a version from which there's no better one on earth. :D
  9. Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    De Ting, THAT THING IS NICE!!!!!!!!! I sadly couldn't afford it any time soon though. Like I said before, I just dropped about $1500 (USD) on a new amp, and right now I'm starting back at the basics.

One of my really good friends plays 3 basses. One is a Geddy Lee signature bass, which he removed the pickguard from, one is a Jaco Sig bass (non-relic) and his baby is a Warwick Thumb 5 string. (Bolt-On) When he got that 5 string, I basically went "That's it, I must have one!" Sadly, his thumb was about half the price of any Streamer. We went to a GC a few weeks ago and they only had two Warwick there. Both were 4 string, and both were Corvettes. One was fretted and one was a fretless. He immediately grabbed the fretless and wailed, while I was stuck going "damn it, where are the Streamers??"

BTW: I advise all of you to check him out;

Bottom line, I can't afford a true Streamer yet, and I want the RockBass to get used to the size and shape of it (weight never has been a big issure with me...ever). Plus it doesn't hurt having a 5 string "Warwick" :p
  10. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    no way dude i say you get a job and save your money. your are not gonna die from your G.A.S. for a sreamer. there is a stage II in the guitar center near me for like $2800(US) brand who said it would be like $4000? i played a Warwick (not rockbass) streamer standard 5 and it was great. i think they are discontinued now though. and for a lot less than a stage II you could get the bolt on Streamer LX. A MUCH better bass than the RockBass.
  11. I'd try and find a Streamer bolt-on or 2nd hand Stage II. If you get the Rockbass you'll always think "it's good, but I want a Streamer". Better to get what you really want rather than a cheaper substitution. Hurts in the short run though.

Good luck.....
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    What amp did you buy? Your profile says your only amp is a Rogue 120 watt combo.

Suck it up, keep your cash. Your jazz is a nice bass, and instead of spending $500 on a Rockbass now, you're $500 closer to getting a Streamer.
  13. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    yeah dude i definitely suggest saving up for a real warwick streamer. Even if its not a stage II, it will still be a real warwcik and in the end you'll be much happier with what you have. I know that I've seen a used warwick streamer std. 4 banger for about 600 which is a steal although they arent manufactured anymore, I'm sure you can probably find a 5 stringer used somewhere if that's what you want. Theres also the streamer lx and stage I and stuff like that which are a lot cheaper than a ssII would be. I say shoot for the best because the next day you'll be much happier.
    P.S. nice choice with the warwick. I own a corvette std. 4 string and i love it to death. Good Luck!
  14. They ******* awesome! Don't say they're pathetic round me boyo. Mine is kick ass! :bassist:
  15. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Damn Straight Nick!

The Rockbass I have is probably the best bass i've played so far! Apart from a slight dent which a ego mad guitarist put in it! (why is it always the guitarists?) Mine plays and sounds like the muts nuts!

16. I was in the market for one a few years ago. I found that they were well-built instruments, generally very similar to Warwicks. However, if it's the Warwick tone you're looking for, don't bother. The Warwick tone is "in the wood" as they say - the Rockbasses are made of alder and rosewood and other more common tonewoods. Not bad in any way, but they don't have the Warwick signature sound. Definitely great basses for the price, but they don't capture the raw Warwick sound, and the necks are glossy maple, feeling much different than the unfinished Wenge or Ovangkol necks on German Warwicks. Save up for a used one if you really want the Warwick tone.
  17. Ahhh, hang on, the warwick streamer standard rockbass uses carolena, same wood as the actual warwick streamer standard. Mine has a nice growly sound.
  18. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There is a Rockbass Corvette. I tried the deluxe version (with a flamed sunburst top) at the local Sam Ash and was very impressed with its playability, appearance and sound. This one didn't have a glossy neck; it was finished, but not heavily enough to impair speedy shifts. It's cheap enough to fall into the "impulse buy" category too.
  19. Can you get warwick to fit a rockbass streamer with a proper warwick neck? If so, how much would it cost to have a neck made?
  20. EternalDarkness

Sep 22, 2004
    sweet :cool: ,

the Rockbass Corvette's cost around $500?
    That's pretty good, considering Warwicks usually cost well over $1,000?

One day, I'd love to own a Corvette, but I would need a high paying job :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)