1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rocksmith Bass DLC - Discuss Here

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fletz, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Love it! Finally, showing the bassist some love!

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Not sure yet.

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Ugh! Horrible.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Don't have it ... yet. Getting it soon.

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  5. Don't have it ... don't care ...

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    So, did any of you get the Rocksmith Bass DLC? I got it yesterday, plugged my Rick in and played for hours. I played a few songs that my band does (facebook.com/rockboxband) and learned a few things! I am loving it. I can see where it may help kids learn to play as well. Any thoughts from the TB Peanut Gallery?

2. BAMonBASS

BAMonBASS

Apr 28, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    I had no idea it was out. Did the DLC cost anything? I am gonna download it tonight!

3. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    It was $29.99 on PS3. Well worth it. I actually thought about calling in sick today to play.

4. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I chose "Don't have it yet . . . don't care" though it's not true that I don't care. I think it's great and might get it for my son one day, but right now I don't have any plans to get it.

5. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I've been playing bass for 30 years. It's a load of fun and a great way to learn (or relearn) some tunes.

6. I got RockSmith last year for my wife. She got started and immeadiatley ditched it for playing with my band. It was great for gettting a guitar in her hands, learning how to tune, find strings and notes. As soon as that happened, she had me show her the chords for the songs we play in the band. She has been singing and playing drums for years and knew all the songs, so that was a big motivator.

We both like the format and game play. I'd like to check out the bass module or whatever it is. I think it is a good way to get video gamers into reality (out of VR) and actually playing an instument.

7. I'm eager to see what you all think of this after getting it. I voted "getting soon" in hopes it is well received by this community... I've been playing less than 2 yrs and don't know many (if any) of the songs in the game or DLC, 'cept perhaps Sweet Home Alabama (and I may not know that one as well as I would like to think ;)). In fact, there's a lot of artists I don't recognize (but then, I'm an old fogey)...

No carrots? Someone has to ask... :)

8. I D/Led last night and posted my experiences on the other thread. My impressions are mostly positive, although I'm having some trouble with latency (need to mess with the values more), and I'm having some trouble with the songs I already know because it starts you off with sparse lines, and I find myself subconsciously wanting to play the full ones.

You too, huh? :D

9. I was gonna buy this but how does it work with 5-ers?

10. It assumes you have a 4 banger, and the program really isn't going to know whether you play an open E or your B on the 5th fret, but you'll have to adapt on the fly to what you see on the screen (E A D G only). They do have some drop tunings, so your 5-er would certainly be more useful in those situations, but again, you won't see the low B.

11. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I think if you play the "real" line during the sparse sections, it doesn't ding you.

12. I'm going to go test that out.

13. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    How'd it work out?

14. Jeramotion

Jeramotion

Jun 29, 2012
    Colorado
    I just heard about this yesterday, looks like it's only on XB360 and PS3, right? Well and PC, but that looks freaky expensive. Why can't it just be on Wii already? ...I have 2 of those laying around getting dusty.

15. You were right! :oops:

16. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Game is giving me an appreciation of Silversun Pickups.

17. -Roman-

-Roman-

Oct 24, 2010
    Seattle
    Game is great! I'd been waiting for the Bass DLC to come out for months and have been very happy with it.

18. People complained a lot (online reviews) about guitar being too annoying and slow to progress through everything, is that not the case so much with bass?

I see that you can still play and not get "dinged" and that seems to be good.

I've never played or even seen someone playing these. A video would be really sweet, actually. (not beginner stuff)

Yeah, where's the Carrots?

19. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I just found out about Rocksmith yesterday...I'm slow...but last night I found dozens of videos on youtube -- all skill levels, many songs, both with a player on screen, and the game-screen alone.

20. maxpayneatlarge

maxpayneatlarge

Mar 9, 2012
    I've been playing for just over a year now. At my skill level, the 'slow progress' of the notes QUICKLY ramps up, so I don't really see it as a problem. I've been having fun with it so far :)

Chris