Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rogue Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by randombassman, Sep 29, 2003.

1. randombassman

randombassman Guest

Sep 24, 2003
    Clear Lake WI USA
    :confused: I don't really know much about bass guitars or amps because I just started playing this past June. I love playing now because my friends and I have started one of the so called "garage bands". You know the ones that everyone thinks will go nowhere, some do go very far, but also some just suck and they all start fighting and dont ever talk to each other again.
    Anyways im off subject. I have a Rogue SX100B Bass and a Rogue RB50B 50watt amp. I am looking to upgrade noth because the sound is just pathetic. Its not even loud enough to hear if you are outside of my house. Anyways i dont know if i should stick with Rogue or not?!?!?! What do you think that I should do???????

:bassist: Thanx:bassist:

2. RBM-

Welcome to TB! First off, you'll get a million different responses to an open ended question such as the one you posted. How about answering a few questions!

1. What are you willing/able to spend?

2. What type of music do you play?

3. How many/what types of instruments in the band?

This type of information will give people a lot better idea of what types of suggestions to make. Hope we can help you out!

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Well I can tell you right now that Rogue is generally frowned upon here at TB. You probably shouldn't stick with Rogue IMO, but the info that you gave was really vague. GPB nailed it; we need more info before giving you any helpful advice!:)

4. Buy Epfini stuff:D :D :D

I kid I kid.:D

5. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Epifani

There ya go!

6. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    But now that you'd mention it... I agree on the Epifani suggestion!:D

Spelling Nazis rule!

7. bluebyrd

bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    Please, whatever you do, stay away from Rogue!

Try to get some used Peavey stuff, about a 300 - 400 watt head and either a 1x15 or 2x10 or 4x10 cab (Avatar maybe?) will be fine for awhile, especially if you're just starting out. You can get a used Peavey head for not much money, and they can really take a beating. The down side is they are sometimes hard to get a warm tone out of, and they weigh a ton! A little exercise never hurt anyone however.... :D

Also if you can, when you get ready to buy, take someone that is knowledgeable about bass gear with you. That's assuming you're buying from a store and not online. Good luck!

8. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Good idea on that staying away man...

I would definitly try to go for an SWR LA-15 (100-watts) or an Ampeg combo. If your pressed for money, get stuff used... That's the BEST way to get good **** (stuff), in good condition, for hellza good prices ;) :D

9. randombassman

randombassman Guest

Sep 24, 2003
    Clear Lake WI USA
    Ok to the more info stuff. Our lead guitar has a Fender(tom delonge edition) or other guitar is a B.C. Rich Mockingbird. And we have one drummer. But i just wondered what i should buy. I am looking right now at a B.C. Rich Platinum Warlock(black.)
    I am willing to spend 400 on an amp and prolly 200 on the guitar. That is after i buy a new computer so that i can go on the forum more often!!!!

:bassist:Thanx:bassist:

10. Noooo.. don't get a B.C Rich

11. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    why don't you spend 400 on the amp and 200 on the bass, or save up a little longer, because getting a good amp will take you farther than a cheaper amp and awesome bass. And forget about the computer. Spend all your money on bass gear. I'm trying to accumulate as much crap as possible right now, while I'm still single, if you start now, think of how much stuff you could have.

Dirk

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think this is a good idea. That way, you'll have an amp that'll last a while before you have to replace it. Try to get a good used combo (SWR, Fender, Peavey, even Carvin) with at least 300 watts.

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yes spend 400 on the amp..then get a mexi p or j with the 200...

steve

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I bet all your neighbours are hoping you stick with Rogue!! ;)

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In fact...is there a Clear Lake WI Resident's Association? I bet they are following this thread with trepidation and hoping the conflicting advice will be too confusing to make a decision!!

:D

16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I wouldn't let my dog take a leak on a Rogue . . . well, on second thought, that's about all it would be good for - is a pee'ing target.

My opinion, get yourself a used Peavey bass amp, with as high a wattage rating as you can afford. They are sturdy, powerful, and highly underrated, real workhorses, and are easily locatable on the used markets. When you can afford to worry about name-tags, then you can move to something else.

17. SuperDad

SuperDad

Sep 30, 2003
    Of those of you criticizing Rogue amps, how many have actually seen their 15 inch amp (or their guitar 2x12)?

I read the Harmony Central ratings for the upper line Rogue amps and they don't seem to get much more flak than other lower priced amps.

Other lower priced amps:

Ampeg BA115 and 100R (pricier, but better reports)
    Behringer (the amp is 120, but the speaker is 12", OTOH it lets you extend with a cabinet)
    Harke
    Crate
    Carvin(either loved or hated)
    Fender Rumble 100 (too new to have reports)
    SWR LA-15 (there are apparently twoversions, a lower powered, older version and the newer 100W)

One other confusing issue- some of these amps let you extend with another cab and others don't

18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Stay away from the LA-15. It sucks monkey balls. Big ones.

I suggest an Ampeg B50R or B100R. Or the new Behringer BX3000T head and an avatar cab.

19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Frankly, if there are any decent music stores near you, take a look at the used gear. Talk to them - tell them what your budget and needs are. For that price, you likely can get a better deal on used stuff. He might even give you a few bucks for the Rogue (take whatever you can get).

For what you are talking about, I would also consider Peavey - for the money, it sounds good, and will take a licking.

One other thing - as far as basses - worry less about how it looks than how it sounds and is built - you can never go wrong with a Fender Precision or Jazz.

20. For information about basses, why not sift through the Newbie Links in the Basses forum. It's a lot to digest but you'll learn a lot.

I also agree with the idea of buying used gear and to spend more on your amp. And most importantly, get out to the stores and try gear - cheap/expensive, active/passive, 4-string/7-string, basses/amps. Even if you have no intention of buying, try it so you have bases for comparison.