1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rolls PM351 Alternative

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Jan 23, 2018.

  1. superheavyfunk


    Mar 11, 2013
    Hey all. I've been using the PM351 for about a year now and while it does the job well, I still worry a little about the lack of a limiter. Lucky for me, all the groups that I use my IEMs with are really very professional and don't swing their mics around or anything - although one guitarist in a band uses a hollowbody and can't quite seem to figure out how to turn down the volume of his guitar in between songs, often causing quite a lot of feedback.

    I need to be able to monitor both my vocals and my instrument simultaneously and I'm pretty sure that the PM351 is the only thing in it's price range that offers what it does : Monitor In, Instrument In, Vocal In/Thru, all with individual volume controls... but what else is there, regardless of price? This can't be the only *analog* device on the market with these features, can it?
  2. Wasnex


    Dec 25, 2011
    I don't know of any other devices with the necessary thru capability.

    Ideas: 1. If the bands you play with are using digital mixers, check to see if a limiter is available on the outputs, 2. get your own limiter, 3. get a wired IEM beltpack or headphone amp with a built in limiter, and 4. get your own small digital board with built in limiters.

    I don't have any personal experience with the following devices, they are just ideas for you to research: Whirlwind PW-1, Behringer XR-12, Rock On Audio Rockbox and Tastyblender V2, PreservEar Limiter
    superheavyfunk likes this.
  3. Wasnex


    Dec 25, 2011
    Also, Ultimate Ears makes a product called Sound Guard that is similar in concept to the PreservEar Limiter.
    superheavyfunk likes this.

Share This Page