1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Romanian Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bassmanevans95, Jul 10, 2012.

1. I decided since I was in the DC area for two weeks I would check out Bob's House of Basses (sadly he was out of town). I tried a couple of basses there but what really caught my eye was this Fully Carved Romanian bass- $3500. I preferred it over a couple of the other basses I played including the Shen SB 200. I however dont know much about Romanian basses so I am asking is this worth getting.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=141l2zc&s=6

P.S. I know the pic doesnt do it justice as its from a crappy camera on a phone sorry.

2. I can tell you that it is not a flatback but the make/model, etc. is unknown

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    The picture doesn't really offer much relevant detail. You did say that you preferred the bass over a couple of others. It caught your eye, but how well did it catch your ear? :) While you may find it preferable to a couple of other basses, is it a good-sounding and playing bass overall? How many others have you played?

The fact that it is Romanian is neither a pro or a con. If you judge that it sounds good, plays well, and is structurally sound, then, for you, it is a good bass. That is to say there is no general problem with Romanian basses.

If you post pics of the scroll, neck button, f-holes, and overall shots, we can probably take a good guess about its origin.

4. It caught my ear really fast. I extensively compared this and the Sb 200. In terms of playability its just about the same give or take a little on each side. What I really liked was the low end of the Romanian bass. It also had a much warmer, darker tone that just spoke to me. As for pictures im sorry to say thats the only one.

5. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    So, it's settled then. Will that be cash, check, or charge? :)

6. lol as much as i love cash over a credit or debit card it would just feel awkward going in to the store with $3500 counting all them bills

7. Some call it awkward, others call it badass.

8. mjt0229

mjt0229 Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Pay it in quarters. Unrolled.

9. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Write a check. :)

10. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta Supporting Member

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    +1

I paid for my last bass with a certified check made out to the shop owner. He loved it since the funds were guaranteed and he didn't have to pay a credit card fee on the transaction.

11. gprigge

gprigge

Dec 19, 2007
    Rice Lake, Wis.
    I'm driving a 2006 or so Upton Medio Fino hybrid. I believe it's Romanian. No regrets.

12. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    +1!!!!!

13. I had a liandro divacenza i bought from kolstein about 18 years ago. It was romanian and fully carved. 7/8 flatback. Sounded just OK. I was young and believed all the hype about needing a carved bass. Truth is, i heard alot of plywoods that killed my romanian carved. The finish was cheap and thick. It had waaaaay too much bracing. It was heavy as hell and sounded alittle too lifeless. Make sure you really love the sound of that particular bass, not just because you wanna find the cheapest way to getting a carved bass. Its not always better

14. just try to make sure that the sound you hear is a good sound to a listener. That's the problematic part of a bass player - often you don't hear the low end because it doesen't fully develops until a few metres away. I know some basses that I liked the sound of as a player would sound muddy and undefined when my teacher played it, and vice versa - a little sqeaky raspy bass can get a lovely low end.