1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ron Carter Solo Transcriptions

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by VegasGutPlucker, Jun 23, 2014.

1. VegasGutPlucker

VegasGutPlucker

Oct 14, 2008
    Chicago
  2. jloehrke

jloehrke

Dec 23, 2010
    Sweet Basil Trio - Evidence Music - ECD22120 - recorded 1991 (I was in the audience on one of those nights) but not released 'till 1995

3. VegasGutPlucker

VegasGutPlucker

Oct 14, 2008
    Chicago
    found this:

4. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    At the risk of being flamed heavily... If you're into Ron Carter, I think you would get much more out of studying his bassline transcriptions (of which there are plenty) and not his solos. It's just my opinion, of course, but there are many other bassists that offer better and more melodic solos for study.

5. VegasGutPlucker

VegasGutPlucker

Oct 14, 2008
    Chicago
    Yeah I'm with you on that. I've never been a huge fan of his sound and that's what's turned me off him the most. My ear bends towards more acoustic gutty players. His walking is good and soloing is meh, but we all get our opinions don't we.
    This was for a student of mine who is being asked to play an excerpt of unknown length from this solo. Her first words upon hearing this made me so proud: "is he playing an electric bass?"