1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rookie needs help picking from Craigslist amps for sale...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shaginwagin, Aug 12, 2012.

1. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    -----GO TO POST 65 FOR UPDATE----

Hey guys!

I need some help picking from a list of amps in my price range. They are all at least an hour drive from my house and I dont have the time or gas money to try them out. I am looking to get some insight on which ones to stay away from or simply arent worth owning. I play many styles of music so something that can "do it all" would be nice. (Imposible, I know, you catch my drift) I do mostly play Punk, Ska, Reagge, Rock with a P bass. No effects. The cab Ill be using is a SWR Workingman's 410T (rated 400w @ 8ohms).

Heres the list... in order of asking price 180 to 325... Cheaper is better for me, but if there is one I can get that is a "keeper" Id spend the extra money. Otherwise its a "starter" amp

Carvin Pro Bass 500

GK Backline 600

Behringer Ultrabass BX3000T

Carvin Redline R600

Hartke 3500

GK 700RB

Ampeg B2RE

Peavey T-Max

Eden Nemesis NA320

Carvin BX500

:confused::confused::confused:

This is a first "head" purchase for me so any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!! :bassist:

2. Mschiff

Mschiff

Jul 22, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    i'd steer clear of the behringer stuff and the gk700 cuz it's a bi-amp style head. definitely look at the carvin and ampeg stuff. a tube preamp is always a bonus but not needed. just make sure you get the power rating you need and see that it has the kind of speaker connections you like/need. google the make/model of the heads you like and get more input on their specs. you might bring your cab and a cable to try em out before to see if it works with your cab and your sound. good luck.

3. Anything on that list should be fine minus the Beahringer stuff. I would be checking out that peavey myself.

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I disagree. I have a GK 700RB-II and am very satisfied with it for both power output and tone and don't have any bi-amping cabinets to run it through.

It's an industry standard, American made, and a solid value IMO.

5. +1

You dont have to use the biamp function, its just an added bonus.

6. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Ditto on the 700RBII.. although the Hartke 3500 is pretty darn solid and is pretty freakin loud too. Those would be my picks.

7. Mschiff

Mschiff

Jul 22, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    ok. sorry about the 700rbii. i think the hartke would be a good choice too

8. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Two awesome amps. Can't go wrong with either one.

9. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    I use a Peavey Tmax 210 combo at my band's practice space and its gets very usable tones. Especially with P basses.

I recently had a Hartke 3500 head here for a little while and was very surprised at how good it sounded through my 215 cab. I really liked it a lot.

Both of the above have built-in compressors (only a single knob control, but they work) and lots of EQ shaping options so you should be able to find your tone in there somewhere.

As much of an Ampeg fan as I am, I'd stay away from the B2RE, it'll be a solid amp that will last, but I think that line of heads sounds really sterile and lifeless.

That's all I have experience with from your list.

10. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Great feedback guys! Keep it coming!!! Thanks!

11. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If those were my choices there is no doubt I would be going straight for the GK 700RBII. In my opinion, CLEARLY the best amp on that list.

12. I play a 3500 through a 410, plenty loud, with lots of eq, low pass, and high pass, tube pre and ss pre, that is blendable. Effects loop, active and passive inputs.
    Great amp, the compressor does suck.
    The other one one list I would look at is the pevey

13. Fro 20

Fro 20

Feb 23, 2009
    Buffalo, New York
    I have used the Hartke, the 700rb, the 700rbII, the carvin redline and the Eden as backline quite a few times. Also, the Behringer like 5 times. There, I said it.

The Hatke surprised me with its accuracy, power and not too much of a baked-in flavor, unlike the GK's. It is easy to dial in different basses and tones.

However, the GK700rbII sounds pretty wicked awesome w/a P bass and those styles of music you mentioned. I would have to lean towards that. And it's not like the GK is incapable of dialing in a "flat" sound, it just won't look quite flat on the EQ

You should be able to get pretty darn loud with that setup, but either head is capable of farting out the speakers if pushed too hard. I have seen both those heads hanging around and lasting a long time over the years

14. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Well, looks like ill go with the Hartke or the GK.

Oh, which GK is better 700rb or 700rbii?

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I can only attest for the Eden Nemesis NA 320, I had that head and found it to be soooo boring, it was my first head though so it was cheap. The only nice factor was it had a headphone jack so you could play it as a bedroom practice amp.

16. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    GKs are the best amps on many, many lists. I had a 1001-II for years, now a GK Fusion and my brother has a BL600.

17. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Looks like the rb700ii is sold... Grrrrrrr.

Removed it from the list.

18. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    How does your brother like the backline 600?

19. im going to say the t-max because of these words at 1:30

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Major loss right there - the T-Max is the next best option...

- georgestrings