Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quizzo, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Quizzo

Quizzo

Aug 10, 2002
    Upstate SC
    Hey guys (and gals!)
    Recently I have been looking for a new 6 string to add to my collection. I have a Carvin LB76 and i really like the flat neck. How would a Roscoe compare? I have only read rave reviews on them and it isn't too far to the nearest dealer. Of course I would want to play one first.
    Also when looking at photos I noticed that some of his basses have the pickups at an angle. What is up with that? I don't doubt that is comfortable but is there any reason other than looks for having them turned?

All the bass to you and yours.

2. I love my two LG-3005's. I believe the reason for the slanted pickups is for the aerodynamic advantage found through years of wind tunnel testing. Either that, or it just looks cool. I can't remember. :D

It seem smost six sting players opt for the SKB model instead of the LG... with the SKB you'll get the bigger body and non-slanted pickups.

As for the neck... I love the neck. It's 1000 times more comfortable than my Stingray5. It's thin, and it's (I can't remember the technical term) offset to fit your hand.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've had my Roscoe six string for a month and a half now and I would reccommend one to anyone. If you like a big growly tone with warmth and command than this is your bass. The Roscoe plays really well and it sounds huge. As for comparing it to a Carvin I'd really say that they're in different leagues. Theres no comparison.

The Roscoes with angled pickups are the LG series basses. The pickups are only angled for looks. They don't affect the tone at all. If you're looking at six strings than you should go with the SKB series instead of the LG. Keith actually doesn't like making the LG series six strings because they don't balance as well with the smaller body.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Quizzo,
    Roscoes have what is commonly referred to as a "flattened C" profile neck. It isn't thin to the point where the tone of the bass would suffer (to a point, a thicker neck usually means more tone), but it is just thin enough to make for a very comfortable neck. The playability is excellent, as the guys above have pointed out. As for the slanted pickups, only the LG (slightly smaller and more carved) body style has the slanted pickups...done just for looks. The SKB body style is a bit more conventional and has pickups that are parallel to the end of the fingerboard. Other than the pickup arrangement and the slight difference in body size, the two models are essentially the same. Just give me a holler if you have any more questions. Plus, there are a lot of happy Roscoe owners here who would be glad to tell you how much they love their basses! :D

5. Another good place to get you a Roscoe from is Adrian at AccessBass.

Although I am sure there are a ton of great places to get one.... He's always treated me awesome!!! With lightning quick service.

6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I'd be interested to know how many of us have more than 1. I've had 4 total and curently have 2.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

I've had two (LG3005 and SKB3007) and currently have none. There's a used SKB 6 at Atomic Music in College Park, MD.

8. I have an SKB3006 and it's the best bass I've played. I'm looking for a 3007 too. Personally, I don't like the way Carvins feel...something about the back of the neck for me. And everything you've read in the reviews about the Roscoe B string is true.

9. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    im gonna get an skb fretless 6 with diamondwood fretboard next :)

10. I have an SKB 3005 fretless and I LOVE IT!! It is literally the standard of comfort that I judge all other basses by. "Is it as comfortable to play as my Roscoe?" I would love to get another if I had the money.

Keith is a very nice guy. Answers ALL your emails and will answer your questions without "smog".

Do a search on this website for more Roscoe comments. There's a close Roscoe brotherhood on TB.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've fondled quite a few basses (it was all mutual!) and without a doubt, the best one I've ever laid hands on was a Roscoe SKB3007. Oh man, that thing was liquid corndogs...

12. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I've had my LG 3005 for less than a month. While I'm still in the honeymoon phase, I can say without hesitation, that everyone should own at least one of these basses. The tone is killer, the playability is killer, the looks are killer....blah, blah, blah. I love mine. I want more, more, more!! :hyper: :D

Another point, is that Keith Roscoe is one COOL guy. He totally stands behind his product. More than one person has contacted him to replace a minor part and just finds it in the next day's mail for no charge.

Yet another point about Roscoes is that each one is an individual. Even though the woods may be the same, they are totally hand made with TLC from Keith.

As an example, my Roscoe is Lacewood top AND back. Normally, he uses Spanish Cedar or Swamp Ash for the back. When I talked to him, I asked him why mine was all Lacewood. His reply, was "I just thought it would be cool." So, he expresses his creativity in each bass he makes.

Buy one, you won't be dissappointed. Also, here's my plug for Gard at Bass Central. Great support and deal from them.

End Testimonial.

13. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've owned 3 Roscoes. I currently own 2 - 1 LG 3005 fretted and 1 SKB 3005 fretless. I've also got a dog named "Roscoe"! He's really got a phat "Bark"! :D

14. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Very Cool, I have a great dog, Roscoe, the first I ever bonded with. Other than my '66 J, a Roscoe was the first bass I ever bonded with as well. I miss every one I've sold, and wish I had them all back (5ers).

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I doubt the pickups are slanted just for looks.

Does a bride position jazz bass pickup sound the same as a neck PU? Its bassier in the neck, and more nasal by the bridge.

It has to do with the part of the strings vibration that is being picked up at each point.

I think the idea is to get a tone closer to the bridge pickup (mids, highs, nasal) from the trebble strings, and a neck pickup sound from the bass strings (bassier).

Peace
    Nick

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sorry man, Keith said he just liked the way that they looked. The magnets are supposedly straight even thought the casing is angled.

17. oooooooooooooo! i love roscoes. if i could own only one bass in the world, it would be a roscoe 6er (...........................that or JT's doubleneck conklin!!!!). roscoes have a killer tone, and are very versatile. the most comfortable basses i have ever played. I personally prefer the SKB series over the LG, but none the less, both are extremely high end, and a definate well worth purchase.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well if the magnets are straight then I stand corrected, but if they arent; whether or not Keith put it that way for that reason they would change the sound.

But if they are straight then that doenst matter.

Peace
    Nick

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The point was why did "Keith" do it. He did it for looks.

:D

20. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Roscoe basses.... still probably the best value going in hi end boutique basses. They are incredibly solid, have a HUGE lo b, extremely playable. And they are beautiful to behold.
    I have spoked to Keith about a run of Roscoe SKB's with a couple of mods - should start appearing in the not too distant future. basically , we are going for a tilt towards a slightly monre vinatgey tone, shorter scale and different placement of the neck pup, different pup and preramp options...an experiment to see if we can a little closer the the "Fender " sound while retaining all the tone and punch of the current Roscoe- and getting that "standard" slap sound that seems to elude some Roscoe owners... I will be the guinea pig in this experiment..we'll see...