1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roscoe Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JOME77, Apr 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Did you call the factory and talk to Keith or Rik? They're really good about answering the phone and giving you a status. I had a bass in for repair a couple months ago and they were very responsive about giving me a status on the repair.

staccatogrowl, bassmahn and campbems like this.
  2. dykesh

dykesh

Feb 3, 2012
    Have you gotten your bass back already?

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I did. They did a great job! Fairly extensive job (new finger board).

4. bassmahn

bassmahn Gold Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Minneapolis MN
    I recently had my LG into Keith for a spa treatment, and I had the bass back within 2 weeks or so. I would also recommend that you give Rik or Keith a call. It seems like that is the best way to communicate with them.

staccatogrowl and RobertUI like this.
  5. dykesh

dykesh

Feb 3, 2012
    Thanks for the info. I have talked to Keith many times and for some reason, my business is of no importance. Every update has been untrue. I paid in full in January to help his bottom line and I have never had such a bad experience with a boutique builder.

6. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Well, there's your problem. Never pay in full up front; there's no incentive for them to do any work for you. Always leave a carrot dangling. I wouldn't pay more than 50% up front.

7. dykesh

dykesh

Feb 3, 2012
    I guess I was just gullible when the man said it would help his bottom line and said they would start right away.

Worldeeeter likes this.
  8. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    I am surprised by both of these posts, so not Roscoe...

Mark

Pacman and RocketMusic like this.
  9. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Things were a bit rocky when Gard first left, but I've seen a bit of a turnaround recently. I had two special orders in for customers, and several deadlines came and went. Push finally came to shove, and Keith knocked them both out for me last month. So, @dykesh, I hope yours shakes out real soon. My advice would be to lay a hard but reasonable deadline on him. As in "please deliver my bass within 4 weeks, or I'll contest my credit card charge."

I'm shocked and disappointed that he's taking orders direct now... but I also can't really blame him. It's not like I've been drowning him with orders for the past several years. I'm not sure how other dealers have been performing... I guess at some point, he needs to do what he needs to do to keep the lights on.

Sigh. Bass Retail is not for wussies. :)

bassmahn, Fred312b and JOME77 like this.
  10. Drkwdsman@yahoo

Drkwdsman@yahoo Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Birmingham
    I just had a pretty bad experience with Roscoe as well. Hope he not going “Ken Smith” on us. Decided to sell mine and just keeping only one. Switched to Laklands and Lulls.

11. dykesh

dykesh

Feb 3, 2012
    I called Keith in January and asked if should order thru Midwood Guitars and he told me to order directly from him so I did. After that, every update I tried to get was wrong. It looks like their Facebook page has been updated with a lot of work since January and I cannot even get a truthful answer. $3000 down the drain. I really have no idea why.

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 5:52 PM
  12. Worldeeeter

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Well, jeez. Makes me feel wonderful about paying that retail mark-up two years ago. :/

13. Worldeeeter

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Y'know, if you're in Charlotte, it's worth the drive to Gboro to walk into the showroom and talk to Keith directly. Politely remind him that you paid 100% up front, and let him know you are feeling like you are being neglected. It will go a long way.
    Also, it may have been worth the extra $$$ to order through Midwood; Doug is a spectacular guy and that store is top-notch. I bought a Berg amp and two speaker cabs from him, and I can't think of a more pleasant experience buying gear.

14. dykesh

dykesh

Feb 3, 2012
    Keith told me in march it was close to done. Then every update was the same BS. I told him last month that this was not acceptable. I paid with PayPal and I am afraid there claim dispute will not be much help. Even if I do get a bass there is no telling what shape it will be in.

15. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Please don't give up. Keith is a genuinely great guy, and he will not leave you hanging. I'm sure he's putting out fires, probably by order of which one is hottest. So it's time to turn up the heat on yours.

@dykesh - If you want, PM me your name (and your order number, if you have it) and I'll drop a note to Keith suggesting he might want to step on the gas.

mwbonsall likes this.
  16. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I'm assuming the retail markup is still in play even if you order directly from Keith. To do anything other than that would be brand suicide on pretty much every front.

I love the way Mike Lull does it. He charges a 5% premium if you want to order direct from him. 80% of List to order direct from him, or 75% of List through a dealer. That let's him handle business from the folks who want to work with him directly, but it also incentivizes most folks to find a dealer to work the order.

mwbonsall and Worldeeeter like this.
  17. dykesh

dykesh

Feb 3, 2012
    I have had multiple conversations with how lousy this has been. He says how sorry he is and then does it again. He is refusing to refund me at this very moment.

18. Worldeeeter

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    That's a great policy. As a distributor in my professional life, I appreciate my suppliers that incentivize customers to work through their distribution channels the most out of all of them.

RocketMusic likes this.
  19. dykesh

dykesh

Feb 3, 2012
    I was not trying to save money on my end, I just could not find the configuration I wanted in the stores so I called them to ask. I paid full price no questions asked. I appreciate the offer but I doubt it will help.

20. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Trust me, it’s not down the drain. I’ve been playing and buying basses from Keith for over 20 years and he’s never let me down. I’ve gotten the “Two more weeks” comment from him (& Gard) many times (4-5 times on one order) but I ALWAYS got a bass. It’ll be worth the wait!

RocketMusic likes this.