1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roscoe Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JOME77, Apr 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    It used to be a fun little running joke back in the days of the Roscoe forum.

"Oh, no! They told you TWO WEEKS?!? Now it'll be months before you get the bass." :)

staccatogrowl and JOME77 like this.
  2. dykesh

dykesh

Feb 3, 2012
    That's the problem. It will be months from now. I just wanted a refund. I wish I had seen the Roscoe forum posts.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  3. svoncampe

svoncampe

Jul 10, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    I'm sure it is frustrating, but if the bass you receive is anywhere close to the quality of Roscoe basses I currently own and have owned in the past, then it will not be money wasted. Be patient and rest on the knowledge that the bass you will be getting is indeed a quality boutique bass.

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I don’t know what to say. My experiences have been amazing. My first bass was built in like 5 weeks. I picked it up at the shop. Nothing but the best service and quality. Same with my next builds. It took maybe 6 - 8 weeks but they are amazing basses.

So sorry to hear all of this. It makes me pretty sad actually as I live the basses and the people have always been amazing to me, a nobody from North Dakota. They offered to move me to the front of the line when a bass unordered has a small defect in the wood. It was nothing but I was offered to take it as is with nothing more than a cosmetic issue, have them try to cover it, or starts new bass that day. I thought that was damn great for a no one like me.
    I hope things get turned around. I don’t know what the Gard story is or if it has to do with this but I hate to see a great guy and builder have these issues.

5. dykesh

dykesh

Feb 3, 2012
    Well I am a no one as well and I have seen quite a few Facebook updates of all the work they have been doing the last five months while my business was evidently ignored. When I complained, nothing has changed.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    PayPal's chargeback / challenge period is 180 days.
    If you are serious, there's your avenue.
    I believe it would be a mistake, but do what you have to.

JOME77 and mwbonsall like this.
  7. dykesh

dykesh

Feb 3, 2012
    I have read that paypal is quite useless actually so I am pretty sure my money is gone. No bass, no refund, no choice really

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Conversation sent .... If there is really an issue, and you're serious about getting this resolved, we'll get it resolved. :)

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  9. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Paypal is not useless as long as your claim is valid. They stick behind the buyer 100%. If this is truly what you say it is then there have been plenty on here with close ties to Keith and Roscoe that have offered to help you get through your claim.

bassmahn, JLY, JOME77 and 1 other person like this.
  10. dykesh

dykesh

Feb 3, 2012
    Thanks for everyone's help and understanding. I plan on waiting until next week before I take legal action.

11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    The drama of this is a bit much. Waiting January to May for a custom Roscoe is nothing out of the ordinary. We are used to delays and sometimes longer than stated delivery times, both with Roscoe builds and many other builders. The product is always good in the end.

That said, as was mentioned above, paypal almost always sides with the buyer regardless of the situation. If this situation was handled as described, I'd be very surprised as it does not sound like Keith at all.

staccatogrowl, campbems and bassmahn like this.
  12. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Something just seems off about this whole story as Keith doesn't do business like this as stated by the many happy returning customers. On top of that there are several members and dealers offering to reach out to help with the matter and the buyer doesn't want help. I hope this isn't some random attempt to smear a company or individual. Again, I'm not saying the buyer isn't factually correct in his claims but it just seems very odd to me.

13. bassmahn

bassmahn Gold Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Minneapolis MN
    I was thinking the same thing campbems.

mwbonsall, staccatogrowl and JLY like this.
  14. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    If there are any builders delivering inside of 12 months .. I'd call that "fast" . So ... best of luck with that .
    Oh I have all these g strings laying around , perhaps I should hang them on the rear view
    z5JxgWB.

15. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Trying to catch and stay ahead of the big wave on Supporting Member

Who needs G strings, anyway? Or frets. . or lines? While diamonds might be best friends to some, Dymond wood is best friends to others. .
    kypwyur3grnlt15xqoyn.

16. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I have never had a custom build from any builder arrive on time really. My last 2 I didnt even ask. I am much more interested in my build being the highest quality work they can do, than in what exact date it will finish.

17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Are they a little overwhelmed with the new equipment, location, new line, etc. Lots of growth and maybe not quite ready? IDK, just tossing stuff out there.

JLY likes this.
  18. dykesh

dykesh

Feb 3, 2012
    campbems: Well, I have tried to be as honest about this situation as I can be and I have sent private messages to everyone who has offered to help; so I am taking all the help I can get. I have the emails to back up most all of what I have stated. One dealer has already told me that I am not the only person that has been in this situation. I don't enjoy any of this and it is not a smear campaign but I do think my experience should be there for others to see so they can make an informed decision about placing future orders. This is how Keith has handled my business, don't know why. No one has to believe me or agree with me and I appreciate the help of this forum.

campbems likes this.
  19. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    So I spoke to Keith this morning about Dykes build and he said the he felt really bad about the situation. He also stated that He didn’t blame Dykes at all for how he feels. When Keith took the order he had a larger work staff. Shortly after taking the order he had to reduce payroll (lots $$$’s spent on CNC equipment, setting up the new Fender style line and Plek machine). Everyone’s delivery dates slipped. Not just Dykes but all orders slipped (significantly). Bummer but building boutique basses for a living is difficult (especially if you want to make a profit). Bottom line, Dykes will get his bass in about week (it’s getting the final paint coating).
    Dykes, wait just another week, and you’ll receive an awesome Roscoe (and in less time than my last build).

20. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Wow - very cool! That was super-nice of you to do. Also, excellent news about the build.
    Mine took 8 months or so; Gard kept me up-to-date with pictures almost weekly, so it was pretty cool.
    Speaking of the man, for anyone that was wondering about him, Gard is doing well, going through some changes, and more enthusiastic and motivated than I've ever seen/heard him before. I don't think he'll be returning to a musical-instrument-related position anytime soon, but he's jump-starting his professional life as we speak. It was really good to hear from him!