Roscoe on a budget??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Jan 15, 2021.

1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I know i’m bordering on blasphemy here, but hear me out.
    I have a Roscoe Century Standard. I really do like the bass, and if money weren’t an issue, i’d keep it.
    But money’s an issue.
    The Roscoe has a great sound and feel, but it rarely gets the call to gig.
    So i’d like to sell the Roscoe, and with the profit, buy something comparable but less expensive.
    I’ve looked at some of the Ibanez offering, especially those with Nordstrand pickups.
    I’ve also eyed Cort, as it looks like they make a good product,
    Does anyone have any other suggestions for quality modern/fusiony 4 strings?
    The only caveat i have is that it must have the ability to go passive.
    Other than that, hit me with your best shot!

2. ShadowGroover

ShadowGroover

Aug 16, 2020
    Surprised that your Roscoe won't be called to the gig, but an Ibanez or Cort will.

Maybe provide some detailed info for us to be helpful, like your music genre(s), types of gigs, band format, geographic location(s), amplification scenarios, etc

Reedt2000 and superheavyfunk like this.
  3. Regarding “it rarely gets the call to gig”? Do you mean that you can’t justify an expensive bass because you rarely gig?

I have an Ibanez SR1200 and I really like it. It has Nordstrands, exotic woods, and the preamp can be switched to passive (unlike my Roscoes). And it costs a fraction of a Roscoe.

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Post pics of the offending Roscoe.

5. Suggestion: a used American Peavey Cirrus. The ones I’ve played were very impressive.

6. P Cheen

P Cheen Alembics and parametric mid knobs scare me. Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Southern Oregon
    I second the Ibanez SR suggestion. Those are killer and especially for the price. You can get a used Premium for just under 1k. You might not like the preamp on those - emphasis on might - but that’s a pretty easy swap.
    The stock ones do have an active/passive switch.

7. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I’m a fulltime musician (or what passes for one during these troubling times. Ninetynine out of a hundred times one of my Pbasses is the tool for the job. If it’s not a P, it’s my 5string. Like i said, i really enjoy having the Roscoe, but it’s not the right sound for the majority of my gigs. I like how the Roscoe makes me think and play differently.
    So it’s not that it’s too expensive or whatever. It’s that i can’t justify keeping a bass that nice when it’s just for me, and i need money more than i need a nice bass.
    Does that make more sense?

8. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I hear you, OP - I've got a couple of items in my arsenal that may not be earning their keep - enough to justify keeping 4 figures of $$$ tied up in them.
    Ironically, my recently arrived Roscoe Century Standard P/J 5-string is not one of them. With its weight, playability, response and tone, I expect it will become one of my main workhorses.
    Is the pickup configuration part of the issue with your Roscoe? (I have a couple of instruments with soapbars at "modern" spacing and it's not exactly my "bread & butter" sound.) If so, maybe you just need to trade for another Roscoe with the right layout. :smug::bassist:

9. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    I second this...insane U.S. quality for the money. Also, I recommend used Carvin or Kiesel. My Icon and B5 stack up to any basses I've owned/tried (there's been a TON), and the money I paid was unreal for the quality.

20201213_215323.jpg

10. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I also think the SR Premium would be a good move . I had two of the 5 strings and the quality of the build was just great . The tone from the Nordys was very jazz like with the harmonics and open like sound . I liked the preamp in those too . The bass sounds just about as good in passive mode and in passive mode the treble knob becomes a passive tone . Very nice basses .
    S7300755.JPG

el jeffe bass, SirMjac28 and P Cheen like this.
  11. P Cheen

P Cheen Alembics and parametric mid knobs scare me. Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Southern Oregon
    Recently got a Kiesel myself. Mine is a Vanquish V59K (5 string). Even though it is going back (the neck is too thin for my liking and the 19mm spacing is too wide for me I found), I can attest to the quality. Best bang-for-your-buck American-made custom guitars.

I’m actually getting an Ibanez Premium SR1100B to replace the Kiesel. Just gonna have to take it to my tech to have it BEAD-converted.

songwriter21 likes this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Maybe look at Valenti?

But I get it. It may be the perfect bass for someone else. KR makes great basses. But if it’s not magic in your hands it’s not helping you.
    Best of luck.

songwriter21 likes this.
  13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    CME has a Roscoe Standard 4 listed as very good for $1495. That was listed 5 months ago. What are you anticipating to sell the bass for?

14. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Honestly, i LOVE the pickups and their configuration.
    It has Nordstrand Big Singles.
    The issue here is that i played a Roscoe 15 years ago with this setup and fell in love.
    So i filed it away, saying “eventually i’ll get one.”
    Then, mid 2019, i found THE bass on Reverb. Got it for over half off.
    Onyx finish, maple neck. Perfect.
    But in the time between falling in love 15 years ago, and getting one of my own, my tastes and needs changed drastically.
    I was playing more fusion and prog back then, and only part time (once or twice a week), and the Roscoe was the dream bass. Now i play jazz, R&B, country, church music, rock, whatever, up to 5 times a week, and the Pbass is the right tool. My black and maple P will be buried with me.
    So i’m sitting on a high dollar bass that i really only bring out a couple times a month, and it’s just because i can.

Raoul_Duke likes this.
  15. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Honestly, somewhere in that ballpark would be great.

16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Sell the Roscoe and don't buy anything until the need arises for something other than a P bass which right now is all you need. In the meantime, I would take a look at Maruszczyk basses incredible value for the money and he can build you anything you want.

17. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    This is the correct answer given that OP is seemingly desperate for cash atm.

Doesn't make sense to sell the dream bass and use the money to buy something inferior when you've already got the tools you need for your job and apparently don't even need to use the dream bass at all.

oldandbold and dralionux like this.
  18. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Yup, the configurator is fantastic.

Custom Shop | Public Peace

SirMjac28 likes this.
  19. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Well, i wouldn’t say i’m desperate for cash...
    But cash is more useful than a bass at the moment.:D

20. oaklandthumb

oaklandthumb Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Kansas
    Ibanez with bartolinis in it. A used 5005 will have a mahogany body and barts, same configuration as a Roscoe, cheap too.

A large part of Roscoe tone is Barts and body woods that are mid focused like mahogany and pine or Spanish cedar. Ibanez will get you there.