1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roscoe Raw Top To Actual Body Transformations

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Apr 4, 2009.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I always like to help folks visualize the transformation that takes place as a raw top becomes an actual bass. This past week, Gard supplied me with some nice progress photos that can help us all visualize what happens as the crafstmen at Roscoe turn raw wood into basses.

The first example is near and dear to my heart... it's MY bass! Here's the top in essentially raw form (it's been bookmatched, but that's it):
    3000-RAW-TOP.

And here's the body after it's been glued up, carved and partially finished (Danish Oil only for mine). The back is 1-piece Ash, and a thick layer of Wenge and a thin layer of Maple have been inserted between the Ash and Koa in the body sandwich. Cool look, no?
    3000-BODY-PROGRESS.

The next example is a bass destined for my store's inventory that features one of my favorite woods: Sapele (aka Bosse or African Mahogany). Here's the raw top:
    2860-RAW-TOP.

And here's the body glued up, carved and partially finished. Wow!!
    2860-BODY-PROGRESS.

My hope is that this helps everyone visualize the possibilties as they peruse the raw tops that I have available for custom orders. The tops are gorgeous enough before the first thing is done to them, but seeing them become actual bass bodies is really thrilling (for me, anyway). So use your mind's eye to imagine the possibilities with some of these lovely tops! And if you feel the urge to chat with me about spec'ing out your own custom Roscoe... well, that's what I'm here for :)

939-RAW-TOP.
    936-RAW-TOP.
    938-RAW-TOP.

2. Wow - those woods are stunning! What's that burl (second down)?

3. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    That's a burl from Australia... Roscoe has had it in stock so long, they've forgotten the name of the wood. So for now, I call it "Unknown Australian Burl" :rollno: :D

4. CliffD

CliffD Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Man greg, once again Roscoe has some of the best looking tops I've ever seen! This is a cool thread, I love seeing the creation of what we all love so much!

5. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Yeah, and Gard is soooo great about sending me ammunition for threads like this. He really busts his hump to give us all a front-row, behind-the-scenes look at Roscoe HQ.

6. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Wow! Those are some nice looking tops! :eek:

:meh:Definitely got me thinking more about a lined fretless project!

7. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    You and me both!! I'm torn between Bosse/Sapele, Amboyna, and that Australian burl... and maybe Mytle or Maple burl... jeez, they all look so good :)

Assuming my Koa bass gets done tomorrow, I'll be heading to Greensboro to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. If I'm able to pull myself and Gard away from that bass, I'll pick through the wood pile for some more treasures.

8. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Speaking of Bosse - here's the latest top-to-body-to-bass transformation...

2860-RAW-TOP.

2860-BODY-PROGRESS.

2860-BODY.

9. That is a stunning top in person! Curl for days...

10. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I like the contrast of the 12th fret inlay. It's a very "warm" looking bass.