Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe with Aguilar Preamp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JOME77, May 26, 2005.

1. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Anyone else out there have a Roscoe bass with an Aguilar preamp installed? I had pretty much steered away from the Roscoe with the Aguilar pre for a while due to several TBer's negative comments on the sound of a Roscoe with the Aguilar pre. I recently picked up a 3006 with the Aguilar OBP-3 pre that was just too nice looking to pass up. I purchased it thinking that I might have to install a Bart or Demeter pre in the bass but I'm actually very pleasantly surprised at the sound of the bass. IMO it's actually a perfect compromise between the Bart 4.6 3-band and the Roscoe tuned Demeter 3-band. Quite, smooth highs and lows and just the right amount of mid boost/cut. I recently passed on a nice Roscoe 3005 with an Aguilar OBP-1 and now I'm wondering if that might be a good match also. If anyone out there has owned a Roscoe with an Aguilar pre I'd like to hear your opinions on the sound.
    thanks!

2. deichman

deichman

Jun 1, 2003
    Kansas
    as I just got off the phone with Jay at BHB. I'm working on a new SKB right now. We just discussed pre-amp options. I have a Demeter in a Roscoe right now, so I was thinking either Aguilar, or Bart. It seems that you have one of the very few Roscoe's out there with that Aguilar pre-amp configuration. I'm told the Aguilar would suit the tapper/slapper, more than the fingerstyle player due to the zingy highs. What is your style, and do you agree? Sorry, I'm not answering your question, just had to ask one for myself.

Thanks,

deichman

www.endofstory.com

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    No, I'm pretty sure that there are a bunch of Roscoes out there with the OPB-3 preamp...in fact, I have one in my LG-3005 as well.

My initial reaction of the Aguilar pre was that it was quite "thumpy" for lack of a better term. It has a similar sound to the Bart. The Bart has a better mids, and the Aguilar has a bigger bottom and a tad more highs. In terms of the Aguilar being a better preamp for slappers and tappers, me being a tapper, I don't think that it's really any better to suit that style. I personally think the Demeter is a better fit for slap tap stuff because it's much clearer and not as colored and the highs don't get brittle or harsh. To me, the Aggie and the Bart are sort of a toss up. If I want a better lowend, I'd go with the Aguilar, and if I wanted better mids I'd choose the Bart.

4. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    deichman,
    I agree pretty much with what Halftooth stated. I feel that the Demeter is clearly the choice for a player that's primarily a slapper. If you play all styles though, IMO the Aguilar is a good choice. I didn't bring my fretless the other night and played every song with my Roscoe with the Aguilar OBP-3. I was very impressed at the nice fretless tones I was able to get and with the finger style and pick sounds too. I was able to dial in every sound I wanted without ever touching the controls on my amp. Overall, IMO the Bart rules in the mids, has nice lows but somewhat harsh highs. It's also the noisiest of the 3. The Aguilar has good mids, smooth low end and highs and is fairly quiet. The Demeter has very smooth lows, decent mids and very clear and transparent highs (very hi-fi) and is the quietest of the 3.
    As I stated in earlier in this thread, I was pleasantly surprised at the overall sound of the Aguilar pre. While I overall still prefer the Demeter overall for a fretted Roscoe, I really like the alternative sounds that my other 3006 with the Aguilar pre provides. Great one-two punch! IMO if you already have a Roscoe with the Demeter, you’d really enjoy having one with the Aguilar OBP-3. Another Roscoe with the Demeter would just be more of the same.

5. My first LG-3005 came with a Bart preamp. I replaced it with an OBP-3. For me the OBP-3 has a tighter, more focused bottom end which is particularly complementary to the Roscoe sound.

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Anyone who is not quite happy with an OBP-3 should keep in mind that the frequency center for the mid control can be changed to pretty much any frequency you want by connecting/disconnecting a couple of wires and using various resistors.

If you're anywhere close to happy with the sound of this preamp, but the mids aren't doing it for you, I'd download the wiring schematics from the Aguilar website and try some different frequency centers for your mid control. All it'll cost you is maybe 3 or 4 bucks for resistors and a little time with a soldering iron. Some of the frequency centers don't even require a resistor, just different combinations of connected/disconnected wires.

OBP-3 Schematics at www.aguilaramp.com

7. This is really an interesting forum because I have recently had my first experience with the OBP-3 and really like it. It is transparent, but not as glassy as the Demeter.

I would love to hear it in a Roscoe! Joe, consider yourself blessed to have the arsenal you have! :bassist:

I have the Bart preamp in my Roscoe fretless and that is "IT" for fretless sound. I really don't care for the Bart tone for slap.

.......of course you know my opinion on Roscoe, Joe. :D

8. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    You need to do yourself a favor and play a Roscoe with a Demeter pre. It's the best matched preamp that can be put into a Roscoe. The Demeter really opens up the tone substantially and allows for a much clearer/cleaner tone. As Joe knows, I was skeptical on the Demeter pre from the start because of some prior bad experiences with that pre in other basses. The Demeter is a great preamp in darker sounding basses, so it really shines with the Roscoe and opens the tone nicely without having a overly glassy highs.

9. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Joe,
    I think it's time you change your avatar...maybe you should include a pic of both new basses together!

One of these days I'll be taking a Roscoe family pic of all five of my Roscoes and hopefully I can get it on an avatar as well.

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Does Keith sell pre-wired harnesses? I'm really interested in trying on in my LG-3005.

11. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think he does...he mentioned sending one out for me if I was interested in trying it out. I don't have enough knowledge in instalation, so our conversation switched to how much it would cost for Keith to install the unit, and IIRC, it would cost $300 for the Demeter installed.

12. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Gene,
    Your right! I guess I do need to update my Avatar! You definitely need to take a family picture of those 5 Roscoes! 5 Roscoes! :eek: You are such a greedy man! :D

Vics,
    The Demeter is a breeze to install. All that you have to connect is bridge ground and the pickups. Everything else is wired up. The ones that I've ordered from Demeter are wired for 9VDC but I'm sure Keith's are already wired for 18VDC.

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Big fan of the Demeter pre. I've not had good experience with the OBP-3 but I keep hearing good things so it makes me want to try it again. I've just always liked Demeter pre's with Bartolini pickups. I still like the Tyler spec'd Demeter the best though and I usually hate lots of options with a preamp.

My Roscoe is preamp-less right now. I'm tempted to put the Tyler spec'd Demeter in it. My other option, the one I'm leaning towards, is putting a Pope preamp in it.

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    That's what I was afraid of. My credit card's aching already. :)

Yeah, soldering irons don't bug me at all. I've done a tone of that stuff... for a living at one point. I've replaced the preamp in one of my Zons (the mid module was bad from Bart), as well as doing lotsa blend pot stuff (Zon's blend is reverse what I'm used to and I always convert my Fender J's to BVT... never liked VVT).

15. Actually I HAVE a Roscoe with the Demeter pre. I should have been more clear - I would love to hear one with the AGGIE preamp. But I agree with you on your assessment of the sound. It's got a killer slap tone - it pierces through EVERYTHING in the mix! :bassist:

16. Keith DOES have them pre-wired and ready to install. My Demeter had a noise floor when I received it. Gard and Keith immediately sent me a replacement Demeter pre. It already comes with pots and the mid switch. My understanding is you simply solder it to the battery box and wrench in the pots. I don't know what the price is - I got it as part of the whole package.

Hey Gene, how about YOU change your Avatar too!! What's with the Bengal Tiger, man?? ;) Put some Roscoes in there!!

17. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The Avatar may soon be a changing!

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

We keep a supply of the pre-wired Demeter preamps in stock (Basso, you got the last one we had at the time, and we're still waiting for our replacement shipment!), however that supply is pretty limited, and subject to what we have in stock, and what we have on order to build with the Demeter pre's in them (producton basses have to take precedence).

If you want to retrofit a Demeter into your Roscoe, just PM me, and I will let you know what availability and price is (they are pretty expensive, so keep that in mind...).

19. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Gard,
    What's the reason for not having the push/pull mid on the Demeter? Is there a way that you can add the Demeter without adding the switch? Also, what are the differences between the standard Demeter pre and the one used for Roscoes? My guess would be that the mid frequencies may be different for the Roscoe ones, but that's just a guess.

20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    +1

I REALLY don't wanna drill any new holes in my top.