1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rosewood necked 6 string?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sargebaker, Apr 30, 2006.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I was wondering if an ash bodied 6 with a solid rosewood neck/fingerboard would be a good idea? Would the bass be unbearably heavy or neckdive? a local guy made a tenor 5 string completely out of rosewood and the thing sounds like a bell! it's a real slap monster.

2. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    It would be really heavy for sure. Neckdive depends a lot on the body design. Out of curiosity, who is this local guy/luthier you speak of?

3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    He's relatively unknown, name is Max Villeneuve, it's not Pierre Laporte or anything :p What I want is a very traditional Jazz styled body, with most likely Bartolini Classic Bass G6 pickups, or Nordstrand Big Singles. Hipshot ultralites to help with weight/neckdive.

What body shape would help to limit/reduce neckdive? I guess the MPG/Fbass esque shapes with the upper horn extending to or past the 12th fret, or a singlecut.

4. pacmanb

pacmanb

Jan 19, 2005
    Bulgaria
    Many Conklins have those long upper horns, and they don't look bad at all :) ; Peavy Grind is another example...
    You may also consider a scarf-joined headstock, made out of some light wood- light ash or korina for example. Or make it headless :D

Btw. I'm just starting a fretless 5er, five-piece ash/rosewood neck (rosewood stringers are pretty wide) so neck-dive bothers me too

5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    IF I ever decide to have it built, my best bet will be to just have a sit down with the luthier and get his input.... I've been getting bad GAS for an MPG Level 6 though...