Rotating tone pot too far on Marcus Miller P7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jebel, Jan 22, 2021.

1. jebel

jebel

Jan 22, 2021
    Hi everyone,
    I am newly subscriber (so, I apologize for any formal mistake) and a very very first beginner in playing the bass.
    I have just received a Marcus Miller P7 and while I was putting off the residues of the protection film around the pots I noticed that the tone pot (just below the volume pot) can slip vertically a bit but also horizontally, further the normal limits of rotation.

It had a very small resistance while rotating further than the "normal". I talked to a guy who told me to tighten the small screw inside and after it has a much greater resistance (that of course, i will not force at all). I am just scared that the first time I rotated too far, this might have cause to the cables inside to wrap up, tangle or to be damaged...

I don't know if it's a silly question, but do you have any advice/observation concerning this issue?

Thank you very much in advance and have a nice evening!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It is entirely possible to break wires or solder joints by spinning a loose pot.

Open it up, check the wires. If they're tangled or broken fix them.

jebel likes this.
  3. jebel

jebel

Jan 22, 2021
    Thank you very much. If something was damaged, would I notice it playing the bass? Because as I play it, everything seems quite normal!

4. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    My guess is that it was just the knob that was loose, I had the same issue on my fender and it was just freely spinning on the shaft. An easy way to check would be to loosen the set screw and remove the knob, then turn the shaft of the Potentiometer fully both ways. If it stops naturally at the end and the whole thing doesn’t twist your fine.

If the wires were damaged you would likely hear lower or no output or the knob would have no effect on the tone.

jebel likes this.
  5. jebel

jebel

Jan 22, 2021
    Thank you Sean. Ok I will try that. The problem is that, as a beginner, I don't know if sometimes I do really something different (or, on the contrary, if the pot does not alter the sound at all) or if it's all just fine. Sorry, but because it is a new instrument for me and an important gift I tend to be a bit...hypochondrial (but for the bass! :) )

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022