1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roto66: Nickel vs Steel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by activa44, Apr 25, 2019.

1. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You can also always kick in some overdrive if you want more destiny. Rotos have lows. But they're piano-like rather than thick on the fundamental like a flat. Tons of overtones and growl. And they work well with effects.

I like bottom. But I seldom put the bass knob higher than 1 or (very rarely) 2 on your usual tonestack.

activa44 likes this.
  2. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    You mean 1 or 2 o'clock?

By the way yes, I always play distorted and with a pick.
    What I was afraid is that (with them being steel and being notorious for being a ''bright'' string) they would've lacked the huge, fat low-end that I like and need, particularly when playing distorted (and/or distorted through guitar amps and guitar pedals). But anyway, I guess that when they're dead they're even warmer and with more bottom (and less treble/zing).

Cool, btw.

3. Fialka

Fialka

Jul 29, 2018
    I would not say that broken in rotos stand out too much in comparison to other strings. I switched then to cheaper standard Fender nickel rounds, which last longer before they go "too dead". What kind of music are you playing? Some kind of metal/hard rock? As I said, you are not looking for crisp, so Ill recommend the DRs for you. I play with my fingers, with a pick and with my thumb when needed, I suck bad at slappin'.

activa44 likes this.
  4. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    Metal/punk, distorted and with a pick.

I'm interested in Rotos because of the mid growl and bottom, as I mentioned.
    And I've read on threads here that a lot of people who hate new strings seem to love Rotos when they're dead.

5. Fialka

Fialka

Jul 29, 2018
    Try 'em if you want. It is really hard to say, every bass is different, every ear is different and two finger wont be the same, so only way is to go and try a bunch of 'em and choose yourself.

activa44 likes this.
  6. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    Yes, too many factors are involved.
    It's always better to try stuff, but talkbass wouldn't exist if some of us weren't overthinkers :D

Fialka likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 13, 2021