1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

roughing up a bass's finish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ksihawk7, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Well, at the risk of sounding newbish (which I am), I've heard if you want to repaint an already painted bass, it is easier just to roughen up the current finish then paint over it. Since I was planning on doing that, I was wondering if I could get some more info about doing that. Like what grit sandpaper and what not.

2. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    My auto shop teacher said it best in high school..."The best primer is the original paintjob." I would sand it smooth with a medium grit paper. You'll want to take your time, and use a light hand avoid digging in too much or gouging the finish. Any imperfections will show through your new paint job.

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    ~220-320 and then a coat of compatible primer.

4. deh-heh-heh-heffinitely!!! definitely just sand back a little then prime/paint/gloss.
    I just spent a month doing a refinish which ill post shortly and although it came up nice it was a huge drain removing paint etc. Not a fun project! more of a challenge and a test of ones determination haha