1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Round Pickguard for a MM StingRay 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by naruki, Jun 14, 2012.

1. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    Is there any way to get them? I'd love a 5 string Stingray but the pickguard is just awful.

2. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    SR 5ver's have a huge route, I don't think it would cover it up. Buy classic and problem solved.

3. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    I'm tempted by the Classic but the standard Stingrays are cheaper :D looks like I'll have to get a Classic if I really can't deal with the pickguard's shape.

4. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    I loved my SR5, granted PG was pretty awful. I'm actually a bigger fan of the 3 band then the 2, but I like the looks of the classic much better

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Better yet, get a Lakland! You can get a round guard for it if you want.

346_DSC03108.jpg

6. ragamfn

ragamfn

Aug 7, 2008
    The Stingray Classic 5 has a round pickguard

7. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    To be honest, I didn't like the pickguard all when I bought my first SR5. However, I've been so impressed with the overall sound and the tonal variety of them, as well as the way they feel to me (obviously personal ergonomics is something that will vary greatly from person to person), that I don't even notice the shape of the pickguard any more. I just love the basses.

.... maybe it's also got something to do with the pickguards on both of my Stingrays being tort which, from my perspective, means all is right with the world (yes, I'm one of THOSE people! :D).

8. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    I'd say they sound great but I've never been into Lakland body shapes that much :D

9. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    They honestly don't sound the same either. They do sound good, but not exactly like a Stingray. Plus, the string spacing and scale are different. 17.5mm and 34" for a Ray, vs 19mm and 35" for a Lakland.

Bob

10. You're right - they don't. I spent a couple of hours with a Lakland Skyline 55/01 before I bought my Stingray 5 - it was nice but didn't grab that sound.

You could get a 5 string Sub - also has the oval Pg - or a 5 string Sterling.

The pg on a regular Stingray 5 is less noticeable if you go for a matching rather than contrasting colour - white/white looks good or black/black. Mine is natural and I replaced the black pg with a white pearloid - I felt exactly like you when I first got it but have got used to it and now prefer this pg on an MM 5 (pics attached).

BTW the route on mine is not that big - standard Stingray control plate size except for the extra bit round the selector switch - however I once saw one for sale which had a chrome plate made up to cover it, and a clear oval pg - to be honest I didn't like it!

Attached Files: