1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roundwound String advice

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by faivy, Nov 1, 2010.

1. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    I am a huge fan of TI Jazz flats but I'd like to try a set of rounds with similar qualities but more grind so......
    Low tension medium guage not zingy (bright) at all but having a grind /growl that the flats don't have...I'm very open to suggestions please.

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
  3. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    The review sounds good. What is the tension like?
    I have Labella flats on my P-Bass for the Jameson thing but I prefer lower tension like the TI's
    Thanks
    Phil

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I haven't used those in 30 years but I do remember them being fairly soft and quite a bit less "zingy" that D'Addario XL's (which is what I settled on back then). I've never tried any pure nickel roundrounds but any of the nickel plated steel roundwounds I've tried sound pretty much the same as the XL's - "zingy" when new but settle down a bit after a couple weeks. I'm really diggin' tapewounds these days - most are roundwounds under the nylon tape overwrap and suprisingly "growly" IMO. The Fender 9120M tapewounds (58 72 92 110) work well on a fretted bass and last forever - pretty soft too:
    http://www.juststrings.com/fnd-9120.html

In the end you'll have to try any of those to truly know what they sound like :( . We've all been there - done that ;) .

5. Metania

Metania

Oct 15, 2011
    Denmark
    I hate food!
    INterestingly no one says what basses are in question? It is not the same to play for ex a Stingray and a Squire Affinity with 9120M strings! One thing is for sure, you will have to raise the action a LOT, if you're used to a low action steel stringed bass for ex. Some love the rubbery elastic jumpy flapping feel, others hate it. But it very much depends on your bass too.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Dr sunbeams. Has good articulate low bass and warm sound, less bright then other roundwound nickel strings Ive tried.